SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Montgomery 15
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a mooring in McKinley come up for sale for $1,500.

Anyone know what a reasonable price for a mooring is?

Thanks,

Eric

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
545 Posts
While I have no idea of costs there, it seems that slip fees start at $1600 for under 22', and only goes up from there. After the initial costs for the first year being even, your only fees would be/may be mooring maintenance, or hauling fees, so it might not be bad...

·
Registered
Montgomery 15
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I don't have the "big boat" yet, just a trailerable one, but this seems to be a reasonably good deal. Wondering if I buy the mooring if I can rent/lease it out until the big day arrives.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Sounds a little high to me, but no indication of the size. Or if new or used. Is part of the price a spot in a regulated mooring field? Too many variables.

·
Registered
Montgomery 15
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, JimsCAL. What should I be asking? It's in the McKinley Park mooring field (I'm assuming heavily regulated), and the mooring is not new but was recently inspected. It's in far end of the field, near the opening in the breakwater, so it likely takes a little longer to row out to and may get more swell and wind than boats closer to shore.

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
545 Posts
As JimsCal says, lots of missing data on the mooring, rating etc. Not sure on being able to rent it out, for that you would have to read the sales contract, and/or the bylaws for the mooring field. That being said I would expect that you "could" rent it out, but that is pure speculation on my part.

·
Registered
Montgomery 15
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to you both. I clearly realize that I don't know enough now to make the commitment. I'll pass on this opportunity and spend more time learning about moorings.

·
Barquito
3,685 Posts
Mine was $800 for a good spot in the SouthShore basin. But, I recently saw one for RENT for $800/season in McKinley. If you plan on keeping the mooring a while, the difference between $800 and $1500 isn't that much. For those not aware, we "own" our moorings in MKE, and can take care of them as we see fit. In other Wisconsin communities (such as Sturgeon Bay), you own the equipment, but pay a yearly fee to the city to have it in place (about $400), and are required to show a professional inspection every 3 years. Much cheaper in Milwaukee. I don't know what is available on the North end of the harbor, but, SSYC provides a little mast-up storage for trailer launched boats (I'm not a member, so, don't know details).

·
Registered
Montgomery 15
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Barquito. That gives me some perspective. I think I'd prefer to be in South Shore anyway. How long ago did you purchase your spot?

·
Barquito
3,685 Posts
Thanks Barquito. That gives me some perspective. I think I'd prefer to be in South Shore anyway. How long ago did you purchase your spot?
About 10 years ago. At the moment, the moorings north of the yacht club are a bit of a mess because there was damage to the seawall in a storm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts