SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vets
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While waiting for a health issue which has me "grounded" I decided to tackle one of the projects I've been dreading ... removing and rebedding the coaming on my 30' C&C Redwing ( It was leaking on my wife's forehead while she slept!).

So I've potted all the holes and am just pondering how the heck I'm going to reinstall the coaming without making a huge mess. The problem is that one side of the coaming is fixed to the side of the coaming and the other side to two winch bases. To make it more difficult there is a nice curve to it when it's installed. I just don't see any way to do this without getting butyl tape all over everything.

Soooo ... my question is, do I have to bed the entire bottom edge? More specifically, I would bevel the edges of the holes where the screws are but leave the rest. With the way the coaming is supported I don't think bedding is necessary for strength.

Any experienced advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
dennis,

Butyl is the way to go.
I'd bed the entire bottom surface of the coaming where it joins the deck and the screw/bolts hold it down.
Bolt it down tight & wait a few days for the excess butyl to ooze out.
Clean up is easy with a razor blade.
You can even re-use the excess.

·
Vets
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caleb,

Thanks for the reply. Can you also tell me why I need to bed the entire bottom of the coaming ... i.e. what's the benefit?

Thanks
Dennis

·
Master Mariner
9,187 Posts
There actually is a product on the market designed for exactly what you are doing. It is reasonably cheap, very easy to work with and very easy to clean up with a rag and turps. I've been rebedding my hatches and ports with it and I love it. It is called bedding compound and should be available in any chandler, or online.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts