SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Citizen
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 1977 24 the surveyor suggested that I tighten the hull to deck joint screws. He also suggested rebedding deck hardware every two years. I rebedded stanchion bases in 2015. I think the toe rail leaks in places.

1. Is butyl tape the only sealant between the hull to deck joint?
2. Would I be safe loosening the rail and putting new butyl tape under the rail around the screws?
3. What about loosening the hull to deck joint enough to insert more butyl tape?

I certainly don't want to start trouble but would like to reduce water infiltration.
- CH

·
19,489 Posts
I'm thinking that the toe rail likely isn't going to come off all that easily, starting with the fasteners.

Butyl would probably be the material of choice for that job, but properly done I think it needs to come off and old caulking removed before the redo.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
If the hull deck joint is bedded with butyl then tightening all the bolts just a bit will help to seal it. Attempting to seal through the bolts will be difficult most likely ineffective. Hold the screws from above an snug up the nuts. If you hit the area with a water hose while looking inside leak points can be detected a lot of interior panels may need to be removed to accomplish this, I would start in the cockpit lockers where you can easily access the areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts