SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually, litigation about where to litigate is not that uncommon. It is not always clear whether the particular language of the "forum selection clause" applies to all types of claim. It would probably be difficult for the plaintiffs to sue in Florida when they are in California (which is why the defendants put these forum selection clauses in their contracts). The plaintiffs may have had good reason to try to she in California, even knowing that they might lose the fight over where to fight.
It will be more interesting to see if they re-file in Florida, and whether the court there addresses the merits of the suit.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
In any lawsuit a "Motion to Dismiss" is a pretty common response from the Defendant(s). Then their lawyer can tell them "I got your case dismissed!" 99% of the time it is just over some little technical issue that the Plaintiffs can easily fix. Here, they just go to Florida. It has absolutely ZERO to do with the merits of the case.

Actually, litigation about where to litigate is not that uncommon. It is not always clear whether the particular language of the "forum selection clause" applies to all types of claim. It would probably be difficult for the plaintiffs to sue in Florida when they are in California (which is why the defendants put these forum selection clauses in their contracts). The plaintiffs may have had good reason to try to she in California, even knowing that they might lose the fight over where to fight.
It will be more interesting to see if they re-file in Florida, and whether the court there addresses the merits of the suit.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My point exactly. It wasn't dismissed because their case is garbage. It is a procedural matter. It is not related to the merits of the case.

Why does getting the facts right make anyone high strung? Why the insult to go along with it?

You know, you're a little high-strung.

I meant that their case is garbage...even in Florida. Wait...aren't you in Florida? Maybe you could get a piece?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Its not taken as an offense. It is pointing out what people like you do when you have no argument. It is actually an indication that you find my position valid. This case was not dismissed because it is a crap case. It was dismissed over a forum selection clause. You would think that would be simple enough to point out.

You're pretty damn easily offended for a [Name], aren't ya?

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
"people like [me]"? and what kind of people would that be? Since this is my first post in this thread, I'd like to see your evidence to back your disparaging assumption, counselor.
But thanks for proving MY point. You are, indeed, apparently easily offended. Lighten up, Francis. In silly inconsequential threads like this, even when you're right, you're wrong, when you get all hissy about being right. The stakes are just too damn low to get all incensed.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
"people like [me]"? and what kind of people would that be? Since this is my first post in this thread, I'd like to see your evidence to back your disparaging assumption, counselor.
But thanks for proving MY point. You are, indeed, apparently easily offended. Lighten up, Francis. In silly inconsequential threads like this, even when you're right, you're wrong, when you get all hissy about being right. The stakes are just too damn low to get all incensed.
People that post insults rather than coherent positions.

"You're pretty damn easily offended for a bottom feeding shyster, aren't ya?"

You know, people like you.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Offended? How does it prove that I was offended by anything? Just pointing out the attributes of those who have no position.

the insult WAS my position, Denny Craine, and it was apparently coherent enough to prove my point, which is that you are, as has been noted, easily offended.

You're really not very good at this, are you?

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Go back and re-read the transcript, Cousin Vinny. Your desperate effort to be correct is clouding your objective vision of the case at hand. You seem to have confused your point with my point. Once again, and I will type more slowly so you can follow along, my ONLY position in this whole pitiful debacle was to point out your rather thin skin. What started off as mild entertainment has now become just a little sad,as you continue to go out of your way to make my case for me. Look, if it is so important for your ego to be absolutely correct, then yes, I have no argument vis vis rebel heart's litigation. My only argument was, and remains, that you are pretty thin skinned for one called to the bar. Speaking of the bar, i think it is time to pour a stiff drink and despair over the rise of offense as a defense in modern discourse. good day, sir.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I would characterize it more as poor communication. This all started because I posted the truth about this topic, and asked "why the insult?" I didn't challenge anyone to a duel, just said "why the insult." Then I pointed out that personal insults on forums usually come from those with no other argument. And, good day to you as well. If you are pouring, I am drinking.

Go back and re-read the transcript, Cousin Vinny. Your desperate effort to be correct is clouding your objective vision of the case at hand. You seem to have confused your point with my point. Once again, and I will type more slowly so you can follow along, my ONLY position in this whole pitiful debacle was to point out your rather thin skin. What started off as mild entertainment has now become just a little sad,as you continue to go out of your way to make my case for me. Look, if it is so important for your ego to be absolutely correct, then yes, I have no argument vis vis rebel heart's litigation. My only argument was, and remains, that you are pretty thin skinned for one called to the bar. Speaking of the bar, i think it is time to pour a stiff drink and despair over the rise of offense as a defense in modern discourse. good day, sir.

·
Catalina 400 MKII
821 Posts
Please look at your posts. If you are name calling, please edit it out. Thoughtful, humorous, and/or interesting discourse, facts, opinions and (yes) disagreements make this forum really valuable. Trading insults just gets in the way. This is just my opinion, but I hope you will give it some consideration.

Scotty

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.