SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jumped into rebuilding the steering on a project boat. I sure do get disappointed when you see a name like Edson and think , good quality. Lol. The pedestal had fallen like a downed tree. A little investigation later finds the turning blocks were mounted on a ferrous plate directly under the pedestal. Of course being ferrous it had reverted to its ferrous sulfate form, At least getting it out was easy. It crumbled in the hand like soda crackers. Off to the scrapyard. Found a nice piece of half inch aluminum plate. Got the tooling done and started looking at the rest of the pedestal. The plastic upper that holds the compass is in about the same shape as the rusted metal. Crumbled in the hand. Found that replacind a cable required complete disassmebly of the pedestal. Whew nice job. All stainless fasteners in aluminum as usual. anyway...

Has anyone replaced the plastic upper on one of these with a homebrew solution? I didnt see anything like it at Edson and likely would be insulted at the price anyway. Whew $56 for the bolts to bolt it down. One trip to the local salvage yard and I already saved over $500 vs replacing with new according to their online prices. Price at salvage yard for the aluminum and bolts. Less than $20. Im thinking I could pay a local welder his $45 an hour rate and have him fab something nice out of aluminum for around $150. Pls let me see what youve come up with. This is the piece that the compass mounts in. If not aluminum I could see maybe a fiberglass replacement. The plastic was unacceptable anyway. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you, yes I was looking in the wrong place. The $73 is substantially less than I was expecting. It looks like the one.

Kind of have to make a rush job of this. Its been stored in a free slip that is going away. Got to make her run and whole to get accepted in a liveaboard marina. Girlfriend is gonna be using for a liveaboard with her daughters. All I have to do is install a drivetrain and step a mast before the 9th of december. AArgh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts