SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used Pettit Barnacle Barrier (PBB) last year with very good results.

This year I'll use it again, BUT I don't want to follow the directions which state that the shaft and prop should be sanded down to bare metal. Both are still mostly coated with PBB. Why can't I just give them a light sanding and then spray them? Maybe with just two light coats to avoid buildup.

I pull the boat every fall and sail in the Chesapeake Bay where barnacles aren't terrible.

Certainly someone has skipped the "sanding to bare metal" part and knows the results. If you did and the results were a disaster, please tell me and I'll follow the rules.

·
bell ringer
4,895 Posts
I just cleaned my prop and shaft last year and sprayed over the old paint. It's been a year now and it looks fine.

Reactions: mrmac

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Been using the Pettit BB for several years now. Each spring I do just what you suggest. Scape and sand the prop and spray it with a couple of fresh coats. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I've been using the BB paint for several year and will just lightly sand the existing coating and spray over everything. It is appropriate to ba careful about a built up that could result in an imbalance. PYI has warned us about that for our MaxProps.

·
bell ringer
4,895 Posts
Ad a follow-up. I had a diver clean the boat bottom a couple of weeks ago. It's been over a year since the boat was launched in 2017 and I put a whole can of the Barnacle Buster on the shaft and prop (over the coating it still had from a year before). The hull was completely covered in growth but the shaft and prop looked good and the zincs weren't even wasted as the zinc in the paint must be taking providing protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts