SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather cooling, it's time for me to tackle maintenance that I've been putting off. A day working on the boat leaves my hands thrashed, cracked, bloody, and sore. Looking for some recommendations on a quality hand salve. Thanks in advance...

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Vaseline with cocoa butter works for me.

Applied copiously worked in well then I wear surgical gloves to stop everything getting sticky.

Do this BEFORE and after.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
First you need to figure out whether you need a salve where the first ingredient is water (hydrating) or oil. Look for response of your skin to each one. I have a similar problem and need hydrating salve. I use several different ones, from cheap baby lotion to the expensive O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream. The big thing is not to let your hands get trashed. Use the cream often, and above all: WEAR GLOVES! I tried all sorts of different creams and ointments and I think it does not matter so much what you use, but you have to use it often and protect your hands with gloves.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sounds as though you need leather gloves, not a salve; prevent as much damage as possible. Do you need a barrier cream against chemicals, or is this just damage from cold dry air?

I'm in Florida and I know coconut butter/oil is good for wind/sun burn, dry/chapped skin, and feels less greasy than other products. I make mine from canned coconut milk when I can't get good coconuts. Let the can sit undisturbed in the fridge a few days, cut off the top, scoop out the thickened cream/butter on top. You can clarify it like dairy butter if you like, but it's not necessary. (I'm rather fond of the coconut smell, which it mostly loses when clarified.)

'Bag Balm' is a classic --

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
With the weather cooling, it's time for me to tackle maintenance that I've been putting off. A day working on the boat leaves my hands thrashed, cracked, bloody, and sore. Looking for some recommendations on a quality hand salve. Thanks in advance...
Prevention is better than cure. I suspect they are cracked because you keep washing your hands with something harsh. If you use barrier cream, that helps keep your hands clean (or stops the dirt soaking in deep). Also not all hand cleaners are equal. Try one of the orange-oil based ones.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prevention is better than cure. I suspect they are cracked because you keep washing your hands with something harsh. If you use barrier cream, that helps keep your hands clean (or stops the dirt soaking in deep). Also not all hand cleaners are equal. Try one of the orange-oil based ones.
In my day job I am a nurse, so washing my hands sometimes dozens of times a day can't be avoided. My hands dry out when I'm not on the boat, but seem even worse when I am. I keep a box of exam gloves onboard at all times, and have been using some expensive Burt's Bees Hand Salve, but I still end up cracked and bleeding, especially around my cuticles.

I think it's time to be proactive, as you say, and slather my hands at night to get some moisture back in to them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ask at a drug store for pure lanolin...I find it too sticky by itself but mixed with a lighter hand cream it is good....it is the main ingredient in bag balm...

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
From working concrete I agree bag balm or udder butter get them from a feed store not walgreens or other pharmacy type stores lots cheaper

·
Registered
360 Posts
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS: I use a mixture on 50% Petroliom Jelly And 50% liquid parafine (from the drug Store) Mixed in a small pot till it tunrs white it is the main ingreegiants to E45 if you increace the petrolium jell the more water proof it becomes hope this is of help to you and next time put protective gloves on AS ALWAYS GO SAFE

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Barrier cream before and coconut butter after. Wear leather or plastic gloves as much as possible depending on what you are doing (tools or resin/solvent).

Don't wash your hands during the day unless you have to - too much handwashing and solvents are the worst things for your skin.

·
Registered
25,125 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Always wear gloves when working. I use cheap dollar store gloves when working with paint or solvents and don't reuse. Solvents or dust trapped in the glove fabric may cause irritation if the gloves are reused.

Wash your hands with a soap that contains moisturizers, and air dry or just pat dry.

I use a bee wax/comfrey/lavender hand cream a friend makes using wax from his bee hives.

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
I have had good luck with using Avon's Silicone glove as a preventative cream. My hands would crack someting terrible and then get filled with dirt and grime I couldn't get out. That stuff worked wonders on keeping the cracks sealed so they can heal. Stays on through washing too. Best part is that it dries instead of staying oily--slick hands drive me nuts when trying to do some things.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.