SailNet Community banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free
2,946 Posts
Very close to the #1 reason I chose to go for an S2 7.9: 5 feet of draft with the keel down, 18 inches of draft with the keel up! :D
I spend much of my time beating down the S2 7.9 fleet and trying to catch the last 1 or 2 that always out sail me... Typically I can't recommend a keel/centerboard, but on the S2 7.9 it works, and that's very right, launching it is WAY easier, plus more room down below.

I bought what I did, because it was very difficult to find a 7.9 for even double what I paid for the Capri 25. Plus the C25 is pretty unknown around our parts, and I wanted something that would allow me to play tag with the 7.9s.

My point was, and is... launching a 4 foot draft can be done, and is... it just takes more planning.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I liked the Capri too, but none I could find for sale around me with a trailer. The 7.9 was the best compromise I could find, I didn't want a MacGregor or some other water ballasted boat.
To the OP: I think that you've got some good choices out there for either a "real marine head" or a composter. Now go get a boat! :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Our Seaward 25 has an enclosed marine head with 10 gal storage tank. Most of the seaward 25 boats were set up this way, though some were ordered with porta potties or MSD. All have the head enclosed separately next to the steps. I believe the hunter 260 has an enclosed head as well, though it might be a porta pottie.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for all the great responses. To answer an earlier post, we won't be moving the boat much or launching frequently. We'd still be at a slip through the season and then park it in the back yard off-season or for major DIY work.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,946 Posts
I love the seawards... High quality boats... again good luck finding one in that price range. I like the looks of the new ones the 26 and 32. Pretty lines.
Hake Yachts

if I ever go full-cruiser mode, they'll be my first stop.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Anyone have a suggestion for a trailerable sailboat, 25' or less, that has a real head and not a portapotty?
The later Catalina 25 was very nice. I had a 1989 wing keel model with a genuine marine head.

Another alternative is the Sealand Sanipotti which can be removed to empty but can also be plumbed to deck for pump out.

One thing that speaks well for using a marine head on a small boat is that, when done right, the pumpout procedure is actually a clean operation and offers less risk of a truly memorable mess, as is possible with a portable unit.

G.J.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sadly we know that mess all too well. Our first year with our P26 (first year with a boat period), we neglected to realize the frequency required for pump-out (what goes in must come out) and "it" filled the pumpout pipe and a couple pints ended up dripping down the wall and into the bilge. It wouldn't have been so bad if the sound of running water made us first think we had a leak at a throughhull that scared the daylights out of us and then find out its poop....

21 - 29 of 29 Posts