SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear seamen in the Chesapeake Bay area,

I am planning a sailing trip from the Mediterranean to your beautiful bay and plan to stay in May and June 2015; I am looking for a marina not too far from the customs offices in Norfolk (101 East Main st.) but not too expensive because I could stay may be two months if I could not easily navigate along the US coast (I'm not sure I can do that, reading the CBP regulations).

What would you recommend ?? My sailing boat is 6 feet draft.

Incidentally, I synchronize my journey with the arrival in Norfolk of the maiden voyage of the Hermione, a tall ship who is a replica of the ship that brought Lafayette and the French navy at Yorktown in 1780.
I think a lot of French boats are expected to arrive around the same time to celebrate this anniversary in early May 2015 and it will be fantastic.

Many thanks and l look forward visiting your beautiful bay and participate in this celebration which will undoubtedly very moving for all of us.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There are nice marinas in Hampton as well as the Hampton Yacht Club. At least when US citizens return by boat, customs will come to you in Hampton.
Further up the Bay is Poquoson. There are cheaper marinas there, but you may not be pleased with the amenities.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Based on a two-day stop in Hampton Roads last year, I second the suggestion to look for marinas in Hampton. Nice facilities, and there are amenities nearby.

There also seem to be nice marinas on the on the Elizabeth River in Norfolk and Portsmouth, but I have not been there myself and they are quite a ways inland.

I would stay away from marinas on Willougby Bay; the constant noise of helicopter training exercises at the nearby Norfolk Naval Air Station is not for everyone.

I do hope you get to explore the entire Chesapeake Bay during the remainder of your visit; May and June are good months for cruising, and the quiet anchorages on the Bay’s Eastern shore are a great contrast to the hustle and bustle of larger cities such as Norfolk and Baltimore.

Bon voyage!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Merci beaucoup ! I'll do as you say and take your advice ; I'm considering having a stop near Norfolk (waterside marina ??) to get the clearance from the Custom's and then move north to Hampton... and then the bay ; Many thanks for your advice.

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Waterside Marina in Norfolk is a favorite. Based on the experience of a UK boat docked next to me this Spring, customs check-in should be no problem. Lots to see and do in Norfolk before moving on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts