SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to purchase our first sailboat (likely a 2005 Cat 28 MKII). Our only prior sailing experience is crewing with friends. We're looking for someone in the Puget Sound area for hire who can come out w/ us a couple times for boat-specific instruction and perhaps answer questions about the boat purchase itself.

I know where to look in the "yellow pages", but hoping for a more personalized recommendation from someone who has done this.

Also, what is a reasonable hourly rate for this sort of instruction/consultation?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
76 Posts
Matt, might want to check out the Puget Sound Sailing Group, The Puget Sound Sailing Group (Seattle, WA) - Meetup. Just a local meetup group with 1000 or so members that will get you well tied into the local sailing community. We've had several people in your position host day sails on their boats with the goal of having experienced sailors help them out. No charge, just a bunch of good people who love to sail and help each other out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wife did the ASA 101-103-104 series with Nate Harmon from Sail Northwest in Bellingham a couple years ago. I came along for the ride, having completed the ASA courses earlier. We were a week on a Islander 32 with Nate.

With the Sail Northwest week-long 'cruise and learn' format you have to accept conditions as you find them - for example, on the third day I was on the deck tethered to a lifeline learning how to put in a reef in 25 plus knot winds. Nate was patient, calm, and built confidence - he doesn't yell (except when a raccoon snuck in during the night and leapt onto his bunk). He will try and find your limits and challenge you to extend them - but in ways that I always felt were safe.

After our week with Nate we were ready to be on our own. We kept the Islander for another week and did our own circuit of the San Juans. It was extremely helpful to have had him introduce us to the necessary 'local knowledge' - especially about currents, tides, rocks, and deadheads - in the area.

I don't know whether Nate is available to be a instructional captain on your boat - but it wouldn't surprise me, especially in the off-season.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Your best bet would be to contact a sailing school based in the local area you intend to keep your boat in. and arrange a private course. or just join the regular course.

I know cooper boating van BC have a Cateliana 28 mk in thier fleet. Schools closer to you probably have as well.

Arranging a private own boat instruction prior to purchase would be difficult

1 - 4 of 4 Posts