SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am in the market for some new sails. Definitely a new main and maybe more. It’s for cruising on my 32’ Morgan. Any recommended manufactures would be appreciated.
Pete

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Last new sails I bought were from Quantum and I was very pleased with them.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I am assuming these will be standard dacron sails. If so, lots of choices. You need to decide if you want to go with a local loft (and get some services like a visit to your boat for measuring) or go with an online dealer and probably same some money. LOTS of threads here on this topic. Do a search.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
A good way to start is to attend a major sailboat show and compare products and prices. It will also give you a chance to discuss your needs and the recommendations of knowledgeable sail dealers, It helps to educate yourself before you make a major purchase.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Hey all,

I am in the market for some new sails. Definitely a new main and maybe more. It’s for cruising on my 32’ Morgan. Any recommended manufactures would be appreciated.
Pete
It really depends on your location and whether there are any brick and mortar lofts in your area.

I believe that you should support your local sailmakers if you have any. You will usually get a superior product that is properly fitted to your boat, and you will get better service after you buy.

Where I live there are a few lofts to choose from. We have UK, Evolution and North along with a few independent lofts. We used to have Quantum as well, but that loft closed down. That is where I bought my last new sail.

I use one of the independent guys for my canvas work, but for sail repairs and recuts I use North. They provide excellent service at a fair price. I will be buying a new headsail sometime in the next year, and it will likely be a North sail even though it will cost a bit more, mainly because of the excellent service I have had from them, and because they make a superior product in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
I can't for the life of me see any advantage in trying to save a few bucks on a sail which should last 10 years or so with good care. I always use a local sailmaker who does the work in his loft and will be there should there be a problem. It makes no sense to have to send a sail back and forth to Asia because there is a problem.
Plus, if they measure, then errors in dimensions are theirs to repair.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Plus, if they measure, then errors in dimensions are theirs to repair.
I've had this experience and Capta is right on. They attempted to replicate the measurements of an old sail. Over 70ft that's not hard to be off by some fraction of an inch. It turns out, my former sail have tensioned to precisely the edge of the block at the top of the mast. The new one just couldn't be tension properly. It fully went up, but you couldn't get the tension it needed. They came, took it down, fixed it and put it back and I didn't lift a finger.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
A friend of mine bought a new racing genoa from North. It looked like a pretty nice sail to me, but my friend, who is a former sailmaker, told them he wasn't happy with it. Some of the seams were less than perfect. North built him a new one, and let him race with the old one while he waited for the new one to arrive!

Personally I would have been happy with the first one, but customer satisfaction is very important to them.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quantum comes and measures, and they are a local loft but the sails still come from offshore. They did say they made some sails in the USA but these were the more high sails.

·
Registered
622 Posts
For my most recent sail, a 135 Genoa, I went with Precision Sails, I was very happy with the process and the product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts