SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Recommended web reading. "The Journal of Penrose, Seaman", circa 1770.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Sailormon6 
#1 ·
I know that this mostly belongs under the recommended reading sticky but this is a little different as it is available on the web (google books) for free. This work is attributed to the author William Williams (a bit redundant eh?) in about the year 1770. The story is much like that of Robinson Crusoe but quite a bit more forward thinking then many works of its time. It is thought that he was shipwrecked off the coast of Nicaragua (from reading it I thought he was somewhere on Cuba).
I read this whole thing in a few days but I doubt that most of you have as much free time on your hands. It is winter (in the northern hemisphere) so I post this now for those who are so inclined to enjoy.
The Journal of Llewellin Penrose, a ... - Google Book Search

#3 ·
#4 ·
It looks like they also have Richard Henry Dana's "Two years before the mast", as excerpted in Dean King's anthology "Every man will do his duty". First-hand accounts of sea combat (heads carried away by cannonballs & the rest) and sailing in storms, also in Nelson's day - and well written, too.

Two Years Before the Mast - Google Book Search

(Warning: includes fighting between America and Britain ;) )

#7 ·
When I go to the site, there is a column of options on the right side. One of the options is to download the book as a PDF file (15.9 megs in this case). I just did it, and the PDF file is in color and easier to read than the online version. In fact, there is even a thumb of the person scanning in the opening pages. :)

If we were to/are to cruise with our kids, I'd buy a small fleet of netbooks (redundant arrray of inexpensive devices) and maybe a core boat "server" or at least multiple USB drives with a library of boooks like this. Saving them as PDFs seems perfectly doable.

#8 ·
Cam,
Thanks for the Gutenberg link. It seems I had heard about this but never checked it out. There is plenty there to keep me busy while we wait for the thermometer to rise to a level of comfort for outdoor activities.
Jim_H,
Yes, the language is quite a bit like Patrick O'Brian's work. I love the reference to being: "snugly moored in Sot's Bay".
Enjoy. It's a hoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.