SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an alternator problem that is making me nervous about transiting NYC. Can anyone recommend a yard in the sound around Port Washington or that general area?

Thanks

Graham

·
19,489 Posts
Do you really need a yard?... Seems to me you need a marine electrical expert. Another option might be to PM Maine Sail, btrayfors or mitiempo.. They are very knowledgeable.

·
19,489 Posts
Found this:
Port Washington Electric

Odd.. The page looks mainly residential but the google hit mentioned marine service..

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
I also thought of Brad, BarryL. Brad has an auto mechanic who has done some work for him on engine parts.

Sounds like you need a starter motor/alternator repair shop and a car.

There are Brewer's marinas in both Manhasset & Hempstead harbors. There are a few places in City Island too which may be worth checking out. Mamaroneck also has a few boat yards.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Brewer Yard. Find the one closest to where you are and go there. There is one in Mamaroneck, in Port Washington and in Glen Cove. I used then for years with great success.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Brewer yard in Port Wash./Manhasset bay good but if you
don't need to be in a yard, there are town moorings in Manhasset bay (yellow moorings)that you can pick up free for 48 hours or anchor within minutes of all the yards and the town/town dock.
I am local to Manhasset bay and can contact friend(marina foreman)
and see if can get qualified tech to come to boat if you want.
Also if any transportation or reprovisioning info needed, will be happy to help.
Will be sailing out of Manhasset bay tomorrow.
Hugo

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Good suggestion about the moorings in Manhasset Bay. Also can anchor in good protection if necessary. And a Worst Marine is handy.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Call Steve at Brewer Capri in Port Washington- (516) 883-7800. Tim is their mechanic. He's very good. They also have transient slips available.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great support but MainSail did remotely what three yards had failed to do hands-on and find the actual problem. We are in good shape now so it's overnight in Port Washington the through The East River tomorrow - very exiting!

Graham

·
19,489 Posts
Glad to hear you're on your way.. and thanks for the follow-up post. Safe passage!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts