SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming from Green Turtle Cay to St Augustine my wife woke me up in the middle of the night to say that the forward running light had gone out. It had a LED bulb in it, but not a problem as I had two incandescent spares. Safety harness on, hanging over the pulpit rail, and getting a bit wet, I swapped bulbs. No Joy. Back on the bow again with a test light touching the contacts in the corroded base, I confirmed no juice. Third trip up in the dark, I cut the wires below the lamp and tested them. No juice there either. Nose in the anchor locker, I cut the wires and the test lamp lit. Somewhere between the anchor locker and the lamp the wire was bad. In my box of junk wire I found enough to run from the red/green light, along the pulpit, and down though the starboard anchor line hawse pipe to meet the wires with 12v in the anchor locker. Another trip to the bow and then into the anchor locker to crimp in the new wire. The red/green light lit. My wife went back to dodging ships, and I went back to sleep.

When we got to St Augustine I got a better look at the problem. The original wires had chafed through where the wires come out of the hole in the bow pulpit. It looked like the metal edge had cut through the insulation and then the sharp stainless steel edge and salt water corrosion had together done a number on the copper. While my current repair will get me home, I need to replace the wire.

I have pulled as hard as I dare on the wire and cannot make it budge. Has anyone here replaced the wiring that is inside the bow or stern pulpits? How did you do it?

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Bill,
I have rewired both the bow and stern pulpits ON NiftyNickers.What you have is a great glob of 3m5200 it the hole in the deck thru which the wire passes.On the 37 the wire passes thru the rear-most port side leg of the bow pulpit.
You may be able to access the wire and glob by loosening that foot and raising it a couple of inches.The pulpit structure has enough GIVE to allow you to raise that foot a inch or so.
good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Bill,
I have rewired both the bow and stern pulpits ON NiftyNickers.What you have is a great glob of 3m5200 it the hole in the deck thru which the wire passes.On the 37 the wire passes thru the rear-most port side leg of the bow pulpit.
You may be able to access the wire and glob by loosening that foot and raising it a couple of inches.The pulpit structure has enough GIVE to allow you to raise that foot a inch or so.
good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
+1. I had the same globs when I did the job on my Dana.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Ditto the same problem with that wire getting chafed through and ditto the difficulty moving it. I did not know about special wire lubes so used a water-based lube and still had to rely on brute strength and stupidity but slowly (and I do mean slowly) I got the bugger out of there and the new one snaked through.

Good luck. Jay

SV Kenlanu
PSC 37, Buck's Harbor, Maine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s done. The new wire (10 ft, 14 ga, 2 strand) is in the bow pulpit. Everything is finished.

You all were right. There was a big blob of caulking where the old wire left the forward starboard foot of the bow pulpit. That is why I could not get the wire to move. I had to free both forward feet and bend the pulpit up a little to get to the blob. (The bow pulpit itself was full of water. It seems that the only drain is a bad spot in the weld of the aft starboard foot where a streak of rust runs down my deck.) I crimped the two original wires at the lamp together and tied a piece of 1/8” line to them. After squirting a bunch of wire pulling lubricant into the hole at the lamp, I pulled the old wire out and the 1/8” line in. With still more lub, I pulled the new wire through the pulpit. I replaced the caulking blob, caulked the two forward feet, bolted them back to the deck, and added another blob of caulking where the wire comes out of the hole in front of the pulpit. Maybe that blob will keep the water out and also keep the wire from rubbing on the edge of the hole.

It was a whole day job. Both anchor rodes had to come out, and the extension to the anchor locker divider had to be removed so I could wiggle my way up to the bolts for the front feet of the pulpit. Thankfully, I could get under the windlass motor. But there is a plus here; the anchor locker is now clean and spotless. All the sand and turtle grass bits are gone.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Bill,
Congrats on a job well done.It helps to be small and very nimble working in the anchor locker.As for cleaning the anchor locker, last year I wiggled up in there with a shop vac and vacuumed down to the bottom.I was amazed at the amount of sand,mud and rust from the anchor chains that had accumulated down there blocking the lubber hole.I'll bet there was 15lbs of stuff down there.At the same time I lined the rear bulkhead of the anchor locker with very heavy plastic sheeting to prevent water from intruding into the V berth area when the bow is buried in green water during heavy weather.
We have very fond memories of Green Turtle Cay and St.Augustine (one of our favorite towns).
Good luck and Fair Winds,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top