SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, hopefully a quick question. To start I don't have access to my Macgregor 22 until the weekend. However last I was out the wind picked up and I realized that I dont have reefing lines for my mainsail! I was able to spill most of the wind and kept good control but I need to set up reefing lines. I am having a major brainfart and despite my best efforts I can't figure out such a stupid, little but important thing. So sorry for the newb question.
I had to replace my mainsail last year and got a Rolly Tasker main. It has one set of reefing points. Originally my boat was set with a rolling boom that the main would wrap around. Since the new sail had points I modified the boom with a reefing hook at the mast but I kept forgetting the danged reefing lines where I would tie the points to the boom. I've never had one set and want to hear y'alls suggestions on reefing ties. I've seen tubular nylon, three strand, braided lines. Would 1/4 inch lines work? 3/8"? 3/16"?Tie them in permanently or leave them out but available? Mac22 with Rolly Tasker sails.
I would ask the local "yacht club" but after watching one boat sail into another boat that just lost control and grounded itself getting both stuck.....I don't have much confidence in them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Howdy folks, hopefully a quick question. To start I don't have access to my Macgregor 22 until the weekend. However last I was out the wind picked up and I realized that I dont have reefing lines for my mainsail! I was able to spill most of the wind and kept good control but I need to set up reefing lines. I am having a major brainfart and despite my best efforts I can't figure out such a stupid, little but important thing. So sorry for the newb question.
I had to replace my mainsail last year and got a Rolly Tasker main. It has one set of reefing points. Originally my boat was set with a rolling boom that the main would wrap around. Since the new sail had points I modified the boom with a reefing hook at the mast but I kept forgetting the danged reefing lines where I would tie the points to the boom. I've never had one set and want to hear y'alls suggestions on reefing ties. I've seen tubular nylon, three strand, braided lines. Would 1/4 inch lines work? 3/8"? 3/16"?Tie them in permanently or leave them out but available? Mac22 with Rolly Tasker sails.
I would ask the local "yacht club" but after watching one boat sail into another boat that just lost control and grounded itself getting both stuck.....I don't have much confidence in them.
====================================

·
Registered
82 Posts
The reefing ties between the cringles are not meant to carry any load, they just bundle up the loose sail. Any line will do. Leaving them permanently threaded is convenient.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reefing ties between the cringles are not meant to carry any load, they just bundle up the loose sail. Any line will do. Leaving them permanently threaded is convenient.
Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thank you!

·
Registered
881 Posts
You will need a way to change the clew of the sail. Typically reefing lines are attached through a set of blocks either on the outside of the boom or blocks that are integral to the boom. If you don't have these you can simply reattach the clew cringles with a piece of line to the end of the boom after you have attached the tack grommet to the hook on the front of the boom. Then you can tie off the sail to the boom. This is really not a great method to have to use since it requires a lot of sometimes precarious movement when conditions are less than ideal.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Roller booms never really caught on it seems. However in mast roller furlng is all the rage in high-end must have thinking...

·
Super Moderator
4,897 Posts
Small diameter 3 strand is fine. I would leave them laced, you are already tieing them one hand while you hold on with the other hand.

Reefing ties are not strictly essential for a quick and dirty reef, especially if you have lazy jacks. The reefing ties primary purpose is to tidy the sail up and keep it from flogging, but the boat should sail fine without them. Reefing on a small light boat can be a bumpy ride, sometimes easier if you do what you can from the cockpit and only venture out on deck to tidy things up once things have calmed down a bit.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Roller booms never really caught on it seems.
On larger boats, Leisure Furl's boom furler is highly sought after. Can be a $30-$50 option. They are far more complex than the old fashion idea of the boom rolling around exposed. The the LF concept, the roller is inside a boom encasement, not unlike the mast. Some even have an electric cover that pulls over. The bees knees really. I thought I wanted one in the worst way, but rolling them back in, is like rolling up a carpet. It must be exactly parallel to the furl, or it starts to expand and jam it all up. I've seen many skippers with various cheats (usually marks on the vang) to get this right.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you have lazy jacks you may not even need them. I don't with a partially battened sail.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No lazy jacks. I have easy access to the reef points with a tack hook on the boom goose neck and a simple outhaul that I can use on the clew. I'm still young and nimble enough that hopping up on deck isn't a problem, and I can reach the tack from inside the companionway hatch. I've never been on a reefed boat before. And I didn't want to screw something up rigging up my reefing system. I'll get started on it this weekend and hopefull be put on the water soon.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I've had a 3 line Dutchman with a 440 SF main. Great for reefing and dousing the sail... and though you can see the nylon lines... AND the sail has to have grommets... it's largely invisible,
Don't care for the look of stack packs and lazy jacks.... YMMV
I recommend the Dman

·
Registered
118 Posts
Roller booms never really caught on it seems. However in mast roller furlng is all the rage in high-end must have thinking...
Is this really true? I get that it's a luxury, and my wife (newbie/novice is an understatement) eyes them and the idea of continuous, pushbutton reefing with delight, but I find I want nothing to do with them, and wanting to stick with battens, stack packs and slab reefing. I feel like a lot of folks I talk to feel the same way, some for reasons of mistrust of too-fancy/new-fangled systems but most, like me, for reasons of performance. NB - I'm pretty new to cruisers myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No lazy jacks. I have easy access to the reef points with a tack hook on the boom goose neck and a simple outhaul that I can use on the clew. I'm still young and nimble enough that hopping up on deck isn't a problem, and I can reach the tack from inside the companionway hatch. I've never been on a reefed boat before. And I didn't want to screw something up rigging up my reefing system. I'll get started on it this weekend and hopefull be put on the water soon.
So to start: Tie in a reef in fairly light air. (When you don't need to) it should be pretty obvious what works and what doesn't without having some kind of minor calamity. Figure out how to get the main sail really flat without a bunch of creases. Do this often. You will get very good at it. Then you might think of better, easier, faster and simpler ways. It should be a fun adventure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts