SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to this forum and also new to boating I general. I've had this 26' Cal sailboat (1974 I believe) for about 8 months now and I think it's time to do something about the deck. Hairline cracks all over (crazing) and by the distortion in the shape of the cabin ceiling and walls, it seems pretty clear water is seeping in from many places. (There are also tiny spots of hardened pink "ooze" visible on the walls and ceiling.) I have read a bit and it seems that epoxy paint would be a good idea. There is a thick and chipping coat of some sort of blue non-slip paint on much of the deck.

My question is: do I really need to get this blue mess off before I paint? If so, how? Also, since there's a little bit of "flex" when I step on certain parts of the deck, do I need to take additional steps to fortify the surface? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Cal 26' is a nice boat.

The answer is always: it depends.

Removing old, chipping paint will only make your final paint job better. How you remove it is up to you.

Fixing soft spots in the deck is about replacing the core between the layers of fiberglass, often called "re-coring", or a "recore" (hint: use SN search engine to find discussions on this topic).

I have recored both of my side decks on my 1967 Tartan 27 (one side documented here: http://www.odalisque.us/2013/05/2013-may-2nd-re-core-work-party/

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
If it were mine I would put some creeping crack cure on the cracks, scuff the existing paint, fill any holes and repaint possibly with exterior masonry paint. Test first for compatibility. Mix in some sand for non slip. Ignore the soft spots go sailing.

I am sure you love your new boat but is it worth at least 100 hours of sweat equity plus materials, to strip sand grind out the cracks fill cracks prime and paint. Triple that if you attack the soft spots. BTW the cracks will come back.

For removing paint on fiberglass do not use regular paint stripper, you need something like this W.M. Barr and Co. Aircraft® - Fiberglass Paint Remover which is safe for fg. Reilly Auto stores stock it. Be real careful not to let any onto the topsides which are most likely painted too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts