SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm doing a bit of mast down rigging and replacing wiring/antenna, I have my wooden spreaders off.

After a light sanding with a pad sander, they look very good but need a protective finish.

The simplest is to varnish, sand, varnish, sand until I build up 6 coats or more.

Another option is to coat with West system Epoxy and do a couple of coats.

One or two part Epoxy paint is another coption.

And the last involves painting the top white (supposedly deters birds perching on them) with either varnish or epoxy on the underside and edges.

What have you done with yours?

Greg Murphy
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Since I'm doing a bit of mast down rigging and replacing wiring/antenna, I have my wooden spreaders off.

After a light sanding with a pad sander, they look very good but need a protective finish.

The simplest is to varnish, sand, varnish, sand until I build up 6 coats or more.

And the last involves painting the top white (supposedly deters birds perching on them) with either varnish or epoxy on the underside and edges.

Greg Murphy
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI
On your Cal and assuming your spreaders are spruce, a good coating of EasyPoxy might be a good finish. Further, you might find that using some thin copper foil to cover the top surfaces of the spreaders will preserve them far longer than any painted on finish. The foil can be cut to shape/size with a good pair of shears and either tacked on with copper tacks (through bedding) or adhered with something like 3M 4200 (NOT 5200!). BTDT

FWIW...

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts

Greg Murphy
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI
all 3(2 actually, as only epoxy is no good)

the white paint is to avoid uv damage and the varnish on bottom so you can see any rot happening or water damage...the white will reflect the uv more hence last longer...the white deterring birds is nonsense...dont see birds avoiding most decks do you? jajaja:)

on spreaders I have done epoxy and then varnish many times and it lasts a long time...having said that you need at least 6-8 coats of varnish as any varnish work

if you only do west system you have no uv protection...you must top coat with any favourite uv coat...varnish, stain or otherwise

cheers

Reactions: miatapaul

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
ps the copper foil I have seen on various boats and I love the look of the patina after a while...simply glued on would offer the most protection plus if your boat is classic or older and wooden its looks appropriate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts