SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got the decks soaked in CPES (about two gallons worth) along with the coach top and a second coat on the cabin sides.

The white patch was a Sanitred test. Interesting stuff. Kinda like trying to paint with thick glue. We're further along with sanding the rest of the wood, bulwarks and such. I hope to start putting down varnish next week.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I don't know how hot it is there, but do you plan on making some form of tent from tarps before you varnish, so you don't get bubbles?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
It was 67F today. I'll be varnishing early, REAL early while the AM cloud cover is still overhead so I don't have issues.
Charlie, great progress! She''s really looking nice.:)

On the varnishing -- cloud cover is definitely better than direct sun. But applying when the temps are on the decline is also preferable. Not sure which would trump, but ideally shade AND declining temps is what you'd shoot for.

Any chance of spreading a tarp/awning as Freesail suggested? The other benefit is protection from precipitation.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Lookin' good Charlie. Good luck on the varnish, I've been applying daily coats to a piece of teak veneer ply for a week now and there is so much pollen in the air that it ends up feeling like sandpaper the next morning. Sand it smooth, put another coat on, sand it smooth.....

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya. I did some low viscosity epoxy in a test area today. It looked like glass but didn't lay down well in spots. I'm gonna hit it with 320 and lay another coat to see how it does. Regardless, the next thing going there will be varnish.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
You might have already answered this...but did you build that boathouse? Or was it already there?

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Its was there..he had to wait for it to become available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts