SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ice box on board measures 26" high, 16" across, and 20 inches deep.
The top opening is 14 by 16.

I am thinking about using the Isotherm 2501 Air Cooled Refrigeration Component System. I am thinking about mounting the evaporator at the top of the ice box which would allow easy access to ice cubes and ice cream. Since the evaporator is 10.5 inches deep it would protrude (reduce) the box opening by 3 inches so the opening is now 10 inches or so.

So, can i make ice and store ice cream inside the evaporator and not freeze
the refrigerated food?

Or do I have to build some sort of divider between the freezer and refrigerator
then use a fan and baffle similar to how a household refrigerator is setup?

·
Sailor
929 Posts
You don't have to build a divider, just size the evaporator properly to the size of your fridge, place it against one wall and install the thermostat where the manufacturer recommends. Easy Peezy. Make sure it sits in such a way that you can close the lid on the fridge.

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You might want to get a quote from Sea Frost.
Seafrost Home

Video here

Cleave will engineer and build you a custom system that is relatively easy to install. It comes pre-charged. The cost will probably be higher, but you'll have a higher quality product (e.g. stainless steel plate vs pressed AL) and it will fit your box perfectly.

I've installed two of his systems on BR and they work very well.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
ditto on SeaFrost.
If you want HARD ice cream then by all means build a divider between the freezer section and the refrig. section. .... and place a thermostatically (non-electric bi-metallic spring) controlled door between the two. This will make your system a 'spill over' - the freezer also cools the 'fridge'. Sea Frost also has these spillover 'doors'.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sea frost system looks great. I like the stainless steel evaporator, it would probably last longer than an aluminum one. I called isotherm-parts, talked to a nice lady about my application. Seems I'm thinking right. When I do install I'll leave enough room to build a divider with the thermostatically controlled door. Should be fun to tinker with, find an old junked refrigerator for parts.

Thanks for the responses. Now I just need the courage to push the "Pay Now" button at Defender.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
I have a technautics system by CoolBlue Marine out of CA. I haven't used it yet but they owner is a great guy and helpful to help me with my system. I sent the condenser back to get overhauled and tested and will get a new 12v compressor on its way back.

Check them out, I have a dual condenser unit so I can have the 12v compressor and the engine compressor that came with the boat as well.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Why did you need the second one if they are high quality?
The first one was for the frig....and then when the freezer conked out, I bought one for that box, as well.

As an example of "customizing" each system, for the freezer box Cleave recommended two smaller plates vs one big one as a way to keep a more even temperature across the box. It works like a charm -- rock hard meat and ice cream.

To continue the advertisement :) I would also recommend the digital controllers for these units. They cost a bit more than the analog ones, but will save energy as they cut in and cut off with much greater precision. It's also nice to have a visible and continuous read out of the air temp in the boxes. It's the first indicator of anything gone wrong (like an accidental tripping of the circuit breaker on the DC panel).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Here's another trick that I've found helpful. If you freeze food rock hard at home before departing for a long trip, it will stay frozen longer if you put it in the bottom of the frig box and then cover it with "cut to fit" 1 inch Styrofoam panels to insulate it from the warmer temps in the frig box. You loose a bit of space in the frig, but it will keep it frozen longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts