SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need feedback. - with the efficiency of today refrigerators, why can't I rip out the cold plate box and just install a modern fridge. I have the power requirements. Maybe this is just too simplistic. any suggestions?

·
bell ringer
5,023 Posts
there isn't any reason you can't do it other than spending the money

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
You got the money and you got the power? DO IT.

But I'm betting you don't have the power to run a modern (HOME) refrigerator on a boat, unless it is a very big boat.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
A whole lot more information would be good for those offering assistance.

It's not the cold plate that isn't efficient, it's the condensing unit. With all the discussions here on sailnet about Refrigeration I can't help but wonder if you read any of them.

However, if you want low low amp draw and like most of us, and have around 200 amp hours per battery bank. You MAY want to consider the new units.

There are drop in boxes that you build around or you can rebuild the box you have with 3" of insulation, and install a split system from one of the mfg's of 12/24 refrigeration units.

Welcome to Sailnet!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
If I understand you correctly you are contemplating installing a domestic refrigerator in your boat? First of all I am surprised you have the space. If you are thinking about a small bar fridge, they are far from the most efficient solution. Modern marine refrigeration systems are engineered for maximum energy efficiency. Modern domestic refrigerators can't touch them as far as power consumption goes.

·
Registered
23,431 Posts
Hard to determine whether modern means a 110v shore unit that would require shore power to run. I didn't read the OP that way, but if that is what is meant, it's a really bad idea. It would devalue the boat, as no one would want that.

Assuming the OP just meant a modern, efficient, 12v unit, that's a terrific idea (if you have the boat bucks)

The confusing part is what would cause the question. Seems too obvious that one could do this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you very much, Greg. I'm in the market for a reefer(the term always makes me laugh) and I've had quotes up to $3500 for a new one installed. I think I'll start hunting for a scratch & dent model and get handy!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thank you very much, Greg. I'm in the market for a reefer(the term always makes me laugh) and I've had quotes up to $3500 for a new one installed. I think I'll start hunting for a scratch & dent model and get handy!
GLAD to help.

I'm a geezer and also laugh at the "reefer"! ;)

Funny and TRUE story. When we were prepping to go cruising we did the install of the "pre-dented" unit. At the same time a friend in the same marina as us with a larger, very nice, boat spend almost exactly US$ 3,500.00 to have a nice "top of the line" unit installed. We both sailed down the wast coast and into the Sea of Cortez, Mexico. The next year we were both in La Paz. His unit QUIT!! :mad:

He wound up spending another US$1,500.00 ~ 2,000.00 to get it fixed!!!!

Ours was still working away just fine! :D

Greg

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well, I hope your friend isn't reading this thread, or he may become :mad::mad::mad:
No need to hide. :D We talked about it at length. The "looks" of his boat was VERY important to him.

More show than go. He was done cruising after about 2 years or so.

Greg

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
What size fridge are you talking I just installed an engal conversion unit that the customer is very happy with it really is a diy unit. For about 1600 including my time and more insulation. Runs fine off his 85 watt solar panel pair.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I need feedback. - with the efficiency of today refrigerators, why can't I rip out the cold plate box and just install a modern fridge. I have the power requirements. Maybe this is just too simplistic. any suggestions?
I do have one serious question is it a holding plate system or evaporator system in there now?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts