SailNet Community banner
261 - 280 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
In one of Jamestown's videos they suggest having the yard putting the boat in North-South orientation, that way in the morning one side is in the shade, then later that afternoon the other side is.
Would help. My boat more of less faces Southwest. The hill to the east blocks the sun until about 11 am. I can paint the southeast side before the sun hits, then move staging to the west side. It will be mid afternoon before the sun hits that side.

You can't paint in the sun and if it catches you, you're screwed! A breezy dry day is tough too even if overcast.

·
Less Senior Senior Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Polished out my hull in preparation for splash today and noticed that the line where the wrap ended had way more scuffing than prior years. Yard noted this on several boats as well. They think the plastic was either stiffer or formula changed from prior years. May have to try this technique next year. But I am getting closer to saloon table being done. Head cabinet redo next offseason and then we are into the small nice to do list.

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
The next upgrade. Certainly worth it to me.

Attachments

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 · (Edited)
And she's in for the season. Upgrades included new chainplates, standing rigging, rewire of mast, head replumb with new toilet, new holding tank alarm and tank reseal, some wiring rework. Bought a new vhf that I still need to install and the new bilge pump came today as the starboard one died this winter. Got new garhauer adjustable Genoa cars, but haven't installed yet. Put on some new fairleads for the furler, too.
Not as impressive as Tom, but we can't all be that ambitious.

Attachments

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
As she's the only sailboat in the harbor I also think she certainly wins for best row away value, at least right now. Probably not when she was on the floats next to the two Hinkleys, though.

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Getting there. In the meantime, three generations on our good old boat.

Attachments

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
And progress on the project. 3 coats Le Tonk Original.

Attachments

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
And progress on the project. 3 coats Le Tonk Original.
Nice work! Is this a cabin table?
It is. Used the old Formica as a template, and has a fold out leaf that will be supported by two locking spring hinges from Rockler. Rhodesian teak and maple for the woods. I replaced the cabin sole with Brazilian teak and Maple three years ago. Reinforced the stringers at that time as well.

·
SFBay Sailor
94 Posts
here are 63 Hinkley Burmuda 40s out there for 145K. They still have 50 year old systems that either have or need to be replaced. Jeff had a second hand experience with one that the tabbing had come loose when it was NEW, so it can't be that that was all that much better. The decks don't have as many issues is the only thing that I think has been reliably documented as being better than a Tartan/Pearson/Bristol/Albin/etc (although that may just be that there are fewer of them, and who is going to admit that their Hinkley had to have it's deck recored?). Does that make it 4-5x the boat? Does it even make it 'superior'? Or does it just make it a boat that resales higher (and is more expensive when YOU buy it as well)?
Well my B-40 is a 1962 and we paid a bit less back in 2000, so maybe this will not be applicable:

I can tell you that my deck is not cored, it has half round tubes glassed in for reinforcement in the foredeck and side walks, and the cabin top is pretty solid layup. You can bounce on the foredeck you thud on the cabin.

All fittings are tapped into the glass, and then backed with washers & nuts .

The deck/hull joint is legendary, 6" flange on hull, and all the bulkheads and joinery are in place before the deck is fitted, epoxy and through bolts, with chain plates extending through to bulkheads. The centerboard has been bent once, and the lifting tackle replaced once when the 50 yr old bronze strap corroded through.

When we installed the interphase scanning sonar they had to counter bore from inside as the layup was thicker than the 4" sonar threaded stem.

The systems were state of art in '62 and have now been obsoleted/replaced multiple times. The custom tapered mast has massive sheaves and external halyards, it gets laughed at by the racers, then again their sticks don't have 50 yrs of service and we had carbon booms from Spruce trees back then, and replaced the main with Alum in 2002. Mizzen still spruce.

The interior joinery is partially converted to Herreshoff finish where the nicks and scars made the varnish too beat up, but the teak and holly sole is going strong.

Tanks for freshwater, shower sump, and reserve fresh water are stainless. Fitted a holding tank this year and gave up the lockers under port V-berth. (all 6 berths have lee boards, there are 4 hanging lockers and the freezer/refrigerator were air and water cooled, not to mention the diesel heater being forced air, the stereo was am/fm/cassette)

She's been repowered 2x, most recently in 1991, and at a few hundred hours a year the westerbeke W46 is going for a long time. Next go-round will possibly be electric with a small genset and LiPolymer batteries, but waiting for that to settle down.
The fuel tank is Monel, and placed under the engine.

We just did a re-spin of the electronics after 15 yrs and have replaced the old filament 12V lights with LEDs.

She was peeled and barrier coated from waterline down in 2000 and has been awlgripped multiple times on topsides and deck.

remaining significant work: Peel/grind deck and cabin to glass, fair and paint.
Re-wire, removing 50 yrs of accumulated dead ends and upgrade power panel to reflect modern use.
Replace 6V golf cart batteries with LiPolymer
Re-power with Electric drive and prop set for generation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody done any work on a 1961 Palmer Johnson Challenger 38' Yawl named Whisper out of Quissett Harbor? My husband's family had it built in 1961 and he grew up sailing on it. Its original name was Kuwi. For fun we are trying to track it down.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Has anybody done any work on a 1961 Palmer Johnson Challenger 38' Yawl named Whisper out of Quissett Harbor? My husband's family had it built in 1961 and he grew up sailing on it. Its original name was Kuwi. For fun we are trying to track it down.
The last owner was Rick O'Connell and sadly, here's his obituary. He has many posts on the owners website for the Alden boats like the Challengers. He loved WHISPER. I'd be interested in any info may give me about your husbands family having it built. Thanks!

949 - a forum for Alden yachts ? View topic - Rick O'Connell's obit

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Very cool. Wish I could find some info on POs on my Pearson.
Off season list for this year is shorter- install saloon table, new dodger and main cover, soda blast and barrier coat for her bottom and a new steering cable. Maybe some new cushions if the budget holds.

·
May God Bless You
126 Posts
auction of boats in Toronto. A Hughes 38 (with incorrect specs heh heh) named SV Sturm Vogel to be auctioned off. Probably will go for the minimum $25. Who can rescue it?
jon

·
May God Bless You
126 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Off season list for this year is shorter- install saloon table, new dodger and main cover, soda blast and barrier coat for her bottom and a new steering cable. Maybe some new cushions if the budget holds.
My off season list is shorter this year, too. The cockpit I built the winter before has been given a good test for a season. I'm very pleased with the results. It's going gray.

One project I'll do this off season is move the mainsheet. I've researched the move, inspected a ton of old boats - mostly CCA era - and even did a few mock-ups to try different arrangement. I've settled that there is no perfect mainsheet arrangement.

The one I have now (as designed 61') works. But I'm tired of several problems with it. A lot has to do with how one sails.

This is basically what I'll do. But my boat budget won't allow a control line traveler or a self tailing winch(maybe later). I'll re-use the cabin top 2 speed winch - keep the old traveler - and cleat the mainsheet.

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
My off season list is shorter this year, too. The cockpit I built the winter before has been given a good test for a season. I'm very pleased with the results. It's going gray.

One project I'll do this off season is move the mainsheet. I've researched the move, inspected a ton of old boats - mostly CCA era - and even did a few mock-ups to try different arrangement. I've settled that there is no perfect mainsheet arrangement.

The one I have now (as designed 61') works. But I'm tired of several problems with it. A lot has to do with how one sails.

This is basically what I'll do. But my boat budget won't allow a control line traveler or a self tailing winch(maybe later). I'll re-use the cabin top 2 speed winch - keep the old traveler - and cleat the mainsheet.

Whole bunch of Barlow winches on eBay that Hutton will convert to self tailing and fully refurb for 1/4 price of new.

·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Well- Soda Blast and barrier coat turned into a bigger grind and fair job than anticipated as some PO yahoo had just rolled resin on instead of the barrier coat that we thought was there. But at least it's getting done right. Some of the other 'upgrades' are going to get put off as this ate into the budget for them.

261 - 280 of 301 Posts