SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday The Admiral and I hiked on down to Detroit for our NEXUS program interviews. While asking about over-nighting in Canadian marinas, I was told by a CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) officer that, to do so, we'd have to register our boat in Canada? (I think she said the same applied if we wanted to anchor over-night in Canadian waters, too.) She said the paperwork we'd been given during the NEXUS interview process talked about it. Well, it doesn't. And that sounds to me like an odd requirement--akin to having to register your car in Canada if you were going to stay over-night in a hotel/motel/campground there. So, does anybody here know for sure whether or not she was correct?

Jim

·
19,488 Posts
Based on what happens here on the West Coast, I'd say she was NOT correct. There's no way the hundreds of US boats in our waters every summer register here in order to stay at our marinas.. No more than I'd need to register our boat in the US to stay in a Washington State marina.. Nonsense.

You do, of course, have to check in and you're given a Customs Clearance number that must be displayed... perhaps she was referring to this.

Port Sidney is half full of permanently moored boats with "Colorado", or "Utah" boldly painted on their transoms. These boats pretty much "live" here (there may be time limitations for this, but as far as we can tell they're always there.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
An American cannot register a boat in Canada. There are time limitations for foreign boats to be in canada, i beleive its 6 months but could be wrong. When i was in the marine business the RCMP would come into our marina in Ontario during the winter storage period and check boats for US identification then start investigating.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am sure she meant that you had to call in at your first port of entry to Canadian Border Services. Then to the American version when you go back into the states.

You can keep an American boat in Canada over the winter if you are having some work done on it ny a marina facilty.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure she meant that you had to call in at your first port of entry to Canadian Border Services. Then to the American version when you go back into the states.
Nope. I queried her on that point. She meant our boat had to be registered.

So, nobody here believes she was correct. I called the CBSA help/info number, and the guy there said he had never heard of such a thing. I'm thinkin' she was wrong.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

Jim

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Most likely, she has an incorrect idea of registration.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Concur with everyone on this. There is no way an American boat needs to be registered to sail in Canadian waters. Nor do I believe a Cdn boat needs anything special to sail and stay in US waters (although I think a VHF Station Licence is required to operate in the US... not so in Canada.)
Until recently, I had my boat in Bayfield Ontario and we had dozens of US flagged boats who stayed at the marina and wintered their boats there. Apparently there is a form required for Americans who wish to do this essentially declaring that the boat is still an American boat and has not been imported into Canada. This is enforced. A couple of times each year, I see CBSA officers walking through the Marina ensuring US boats are there legally.

Or, maybe she had her own boat and wanted to keep all the good anchorages to herself.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Jim, she was speaking Canadjian YnGlitch, don't mistake it for US English.

If I go to a US Federal Park, I have to REGISTER to CAMP there. That's got nothing to do with the REGISTRATION papers for my car. Same same, she probably meant you would need to register with the local harbormaster for a mooring or anchorage permission.

I haven't sailed in Canadjia since shortly after 9/11/2001 but all we did was make happy with the lonely customs man, and drop the hook wherever we pleased. If in doubt, call ahead (honest, they have phones there too, eh?) and ask what visiting boats have to do to anchor or moor or dock, whatever you are planning to do. In private or park or whatever waters they are.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think she might have been referring to an E29B - a temporary admission permit - which is a form you should fill in if you are planning on bringing a boat or other vehicle into the country for an extended period. There is no requirement to register your boat when entering the country any more than you are required to register your car when you enter.

Your are required to report your entry to customs either through the use of telephones at designated reporting centres, or in person at the closest Customs Office. Ensure that you have proof of citizenship for all members of the crew. Visit the CBSA website for further information:

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

Remember to report any drugs, weapons or unauthorised foreign nationals that you may be transporting. ;)

HTH :)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think she might have been referring to an E29B - a temporary admission permit - which is a form you should fill in if you are planning on bringing a boat or other vehicle into the country for an extended period.
Nope. She clearly said "If you over-night in a Canadian marina." I think she even said if we wanted to over-night on the hook in Canadian waters. (That's when I really started to doubt what she was telling me.)

Your are required to report your entry to customs either through the use of telephones at designated reporting centres, or in person at the closest Customs Office. Ensure that you have proof of citizenship for all members of the crew.
Yeah, knew that :). (Remember: This all started when we were at an office for our NEXUS interviews.) But thanks for mentioning it, anyway.

Remember to report any drugs, weapons or unauthorised foreign nationals that you may be transporting. ;)
Will do! :)

Funny thing: One of the questions at the interview was about whether I'd transport unknown goods across the border for somebody. "No," I replied, "I'd never bring anything across a border for somebody if I didn't know what it was!" "Good answer," she replied. :)

Jim

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
It is truly amazing how incompetent and ignorant government employees can be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts