SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Just bought this 22.It has a new winch cable and the bottom of the boat looks good .The Keel itself is in good shape. Better than most I have seen. when I grab the front edge of the keel (while its up) , I can move it side to side.Its not sliding on the pin but slightly rocking I have read a couple places that a little movement is OK. that if it was to tight it would put undo pressure on it and the hull when healing. being new to this, I don't know if that is correct. wadayathink?

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
The advise about undue pressure while heeling is baloney. If the keel isn't sliding or rocking on the pin, then the pin is sliding or rocking in the hangers. Either one means that you have worn parts. A little bit isn't bad, but it's only a matter of time before it becomes bad and expensive to repair. Even if it weren't moving at all, you'd do well to lower the front of the keel and inspect everything since the boat is new to you so that you know the condition of those critical parts, especially the hanger bolts. Did the previous owner give you any history on maintenance of the keel or any attached hardware? If the hanger bolts don't look in good condition, replace them. Don't overtighten or they can snap, then you've got a nasty project on your hands to extract them. 17-20 ft. lbs torque is all they need. Start with 17 with LockTite. If they loosen after sailing, go up one pound and retest next time, and so on until they stay tight but don't exceed 20.

Congratulations on the new boat! I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment and memories. If you're interested in DIY repair and improvements, check out my blog at stingysailor.com.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. the previous owner only had it out once and his wife made him sell it. And I'm not sure I believe him but I got a good price and everything else looks pretty good. the bolts,keel and hull looks really good and it has a new cable on the winch. I'll probably paint the bottom so while I have it jacked up, I'll check it but yes, the bolts make me nervous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A little wobble is normal. You can purchase a spacer set from Catalina Direct that will cut down on this. Of course, you would install the spacers when you replace the pin which is a good idea since you have never inspected it and don't is worn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.