SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing there is an obvious solution to this and I'll feel foolish for asking...

I'm reinstalling a water pump and I cannot tighten the bolt to the pulley because the impeller shaft is spinning the same direction.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Master Mariner
8,205 Posts
Wouldn't that be pretty hard on the seal?
If it is a keyed shaft impeller you could wrap the shaft with the key in place with a rag and hold with vice grips, then tighten the nut. Otherwise, I guess you are going to have to use the impeller to hold the shaft while tightening and this may do enough damage (unless you still have the old one) you'd want another to install after the bolt is tight.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
how would an impact gun be hard on the seal? the impact gun will tighten the bolt or nut without any rotation of the shaft. it twists the fastener with may small impacts so quick that the shaft has no rotation. it is what the pros use. but if you want to go at it with a pair of vice grips have at it. or maybe a hammer would work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@capta

Thanks for the response but based on your comment, it sounds as if I haven't properly described my problem

Water pump was just rebuilt. Reinstalling it and as I place the pulley onto the shaft, I realize that the shaft freely spins clockwise.

How would I tighten that bolt?

The unit is sealed in that I cannot see nor access the impeller unless I were to open it.

Hope that makes more sense.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
put the pulley on the shaft, hand tighten the bolt, use a small impact driver to tighten the bolt. the impact gun will tighten the bolt without turing the shaft. it does this by applying torque to the bolt head in multiple shorts bursts so quick the shaft does not turn as it is torquing the bolt tight. or take it to a machine or auto shop and have them tighten it with their impact driver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts