SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Catalina 27 with the aft traveler. I'm looking to relocate it to the cabin top. My question is this: Can I use the original track (by placing it on blocks of some sort high enough to clear the companionway) or is it really necessary to buy a new, curved track? Why or why not?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a Catalina 27 with the aft traveler. I'm looking to relocate it to the cabin top. My question is this: Can I use the original track (by placing it on blocks of some sort high enough to clear the companionway) or is it really necessary to buy a new, curved track? Why or why not?
The load on track and boom will increase by 100% if you move the sheeting point to the middle of the boom,
The track will be without bolts where it spans the hatch opening, You will probably have build support to compensate for this.
Do you know the specs for the existing equipment?

If the strength is ok building a bridge support should work.
Most tracks can be bent a little bit but make sure the car can still move.

·
Registered
846 Posts
100% load increase if moved to the center of the boom... If the streng of the hardware is OK, are you OK . It will be much difficult to trim the main.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,183 Posts
Now that is a nice looking piece of gear. Before ordering it, however,I would first confirm with Catalina that the existing boom section is adequate for the bending moments that will be induced by the new traveler location, eh?
A solution to this concern is to use two or three single blocks on the boom to spread that load, which generally works best with the sheet going forward to the mast base and back to a cabintop winch. Gets expensive...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I"m interested in Catalina Direct's solution and have contacted them to see if it'll accommodate the original track.

I also like the idea of spreading the load along the boom via multiple blocks. How would I mount those blocks? Via welded straps?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I also like the idea of spreading the load along the boom via multiple blocks. How would I mount those blocks? Via welded straps?
It depends on the boom.
I have a track at the underside if the boom, bails (eyes) can be retrofitted by sliding in from one end (must take off the end fitting first).
I would not weld, a properly made through bolt and strap is better.
I sail is loose footed a Dyneema strap around the boom might work.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Call Catalina Direct, if they sell the part (sounds like they do)... they can tell you the best way to implement it. Their support is top notch. Prices are usually spot on too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts