SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
A purchased a boat from salt water and wanted to strip the bottom to the gelcoat.After trying sanding and scraping I went to the stripper mode. I had great success with a produce called Peel Away. It did not do any damage to the gelcoat and was easy to use but takes some time.I then sanded the bottom with 180 and then wet sanded with 250.I then painted with Interlux Epoxie and sanded that with 220 and wet sanded with 300 the bottom looks great and dose not pick up any slime over the summer.
Bill S

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
1. Find orbital sander and paper 20 minutes.
2. Sand 18 ft boat 30 minutes for a old guy.
3. Clean up and wipe the boat with thinner before the wife looks in the garage. 10- minutes.
4. Tape the water line 5 minutes.
5. Paint the bottom 20 minutes.
Total time 1 hour and 25 minutes.

I bet my 22 year old son could do it all in about an hour.

This spring I will go down to the boat yard with the orbital sander and sand the sailboat and wipe it with thinner. It should not take long. Maybe 90 minutes.

It takes 2 hours to tape and paint it. I use a very soft brush and paint in line with the water flow. This uses 1 gallon of bottom paint.

The boat is 27''+ on the waterline.

I do a nice job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.