SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im new to owning a Sailboat so forgive me if this is a stupid question or idea. My wife and I just bought an 11 year old 18ft trailer sailer. The previous owner didnt trailer it and only pulled it out of the water for winter so hes had the bottom painted with antifouling paint. We intend on trailering it so we really dont need the hull painted. The boat is in good shape but it is 11 years old so its got some small cosmetic problems that I would like to attend to this winter. One of them is the antifouling paint. Its thin in places and has turned ugly. My question is, instead of repainting the hull, can I remove the antifouling paint completely and restore the gelcoat? Is this so expensive or time consuming thats its impractical?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff, I kind of like the idea of a chemical stripper better than the scraper. The idea of me using a sharp blade to gouge away at my hull isnt very appealing. I can see me causing more damage than good.
Im guessing its the "soft" type of paint. It has a chalky quality to it, If you rub a rag over it, it will actually chalk off on it.
My next question is. When the hull was painted, the gelcoat was probably sanded in preparation so Ill have to restore that with fresh gelcoat, right? Or can I get by with just light sanding and buffing?
Another option that Ive thought of that may require less work but will solve the problem of ugly antifouling paint is to remove the antifouling paint thats on it now and replace it with shinier, slicker, more stable paint of a dark blue instead of trying to restore the original antique white color of the hull.
Thanks again, Ray

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I havent completely decided how Im going to approach this yet but its good to hear that it can be done and that I have options. Now I cant wait to get my other projects out of the garage so I can pull my P18 in and start it..... Ray

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ehaveb bEen inn My garAdge remOoveng anntifooulinng paintt Buut i FeEll fine.

J/K. :), Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive done drywall. I hope refinishing my hull is easier than finishing drywall. If its not, I''ll just go ahead and plant shrubs around the boat because its not going anywhere for awhile:).
BTW, if your a good drywall finisher, your the one with the $$$:).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts