SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a stainless steel cross member welded to the stern pulpit which resulted in bluing.

Is there a goto product for removing bluing?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
here are some options:
Stainless finishing after welding

when I had parts done for me in stainless for my motorcycles or even on the boat usually I just let it be...however on pipes and headers I polished them up with a metal polishing paste

usually that does it...however its not really a bother, more important is if the welds were done well and the stainless was the same type...cracking and low penetration happens a lot when a new piece is added to old hardware...

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Typically the process after welding is flat grinding, flat sanding with successive finer and finer grits, then polishing with 'white metal' buffing compounds (clays containing diatomaceous earth - "Tripoli") to a mirror finish using high speed fabric buffing wheels, .... then if better corrosion resistance is desired electropolishing.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I just had a new bow pulpit installed.

PRISM is a great product for total cleanup. Comes in a small plastic jar, like cold cream. A little goes a long way. Cost about $13.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Don't be tempted to miss out a single grit step though, you'll be sorry.

I recently wet sanded an entire car, with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 grit , then machine buffed with the Turtle Wax buffing compound, then with polish, then wax. Well, it looks good now. Wasn't much fun at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.