SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decide to make threads for some probably all of my projects I think the sailnet community may be interested in. This is a series of videos on diagnosing and replacing a cutless bearing without removing the shaft.

The first step was to diagnose their was a problem with the bearing. Quite obvious I would say. Before replacing the bearing when at some rpm's the boat would have a strange rattle. It sounded like a bulkhead rattling against the hull and it was every two seconds or so. It was the bearing so if you get a rattle every few seconds at certain RPM's check you bearing.

The next step was to remove the prop. I did the removal using a gear puller and a hammer drill.

Or a much better way is the use the puller itself to remove the prop.

Now on to remove the bearing. I didn't want to buy a strut pro but I did find someone who rented one he had made. Worked very well. sold me the bearing also.

Last but not least putting the knew bearing back on.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
Yup I made one of those things to change the bearings on a stink pot.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Nice..

Your gear puller can be easily converted to a two jaw. That is what the empty black stand off is, the one without the arm on it. You just need to pull one arm off and move another and the puller turns it into a two jaw..:)

I own a Strut-Pro, and it gets lots of use, but Ken's tool looks quite good for a 1" shaft..

NOTE: If the prop does not want to pop with the gear puller apply some light heat to the prop hub with the puller loaded up. I generally use a heat gun, but if careful a torch could be used too. It can take a while to evenly heat the hub, but all of a sudden the prop will just pop off. A lanyard on the puller is a good idea...

A properly lap fitted prop will usually break a typical gear puller unless you also use heat.... Improperly fitted props come off easier as they have significantly less contact area over the taper.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice..

Your gear puller can be easily converted to a two jaw. That is what the empty black stand off is, the one without the arm on it. You just need to pull one arm off and move another and the puller turns it into a two jaw..:)

I own a Strut-Pro, and it gets lots of use, but Ken's tool looks quite good for a 1" shaft..

NOTE: If the prop does not want to pop with the gear puller apply some light heat to the prop hub with the puller loaded up. I generally use a heat gun, but if careful a torch could be used too. It can take a while to evenly heat the hub, but all of a sudden the prop will just pop off. A lanyard on the puller is a good idea...

A properly lap fitted prop will usually break a typical gear puller unless you also use heat.... Improperly fitted props come off easier as they have significantly less contact area over the taper.
Thanks for the tips I will add them to the video. I love your site by the way. I found it years ago and there are to few pro's who post stuff for those of us who have no access the a full service yard. Your post on battery monitors, solar and stuffing box were huge helps to me. I subscribe to your YouTube channel also. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts