SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

My pulpit is off for rebedding, new nav light wire, etc. Also needs a serious cleanup.

A section has serious abrasion/scratching (pic attached), I'd like to address this.

Any advice re: treatment is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Sailor
935 Posts
Hard to say as any sanding or burnishing will cause rust. Maybe try Spotless Stainless cleaner?

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
What is causing this? Your rigging? Is there something that is going to continue to damage that spot? If so, cover with rigging tape to protect. If you can't fix it enhance it. Looks too deep to clean up, but 1500 micron wet/dry sand paper you can get at any automotive store will polish stainless. Much like a polishing compound. It will get out some of the finer scratches.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Depending on the absolute depth of the scratches, start with 100 grit and work your way down to 600 grit, followed by high speed wheel polishing with buffing compounds specifically made for polishing/buffing WHITE metals. When sanding (use a light weight nose-belt sander if possible) be sure to remove all previous grit scratches before moving to the next finer grade. Hand sanding is next to impossible, unless you have infinite time.
The buffing compound called 'tripoli' is the best for final buffing & polishing stainless but is natural/mined and is becoming harder and harder to obtain; it is a mixture of fine white clay and very fine 'diatomaceous earth' - so wear a very fine dust mask.

·
Barquito
3,753 Posts
I'm not too experienced with polishing, but, since in is a convex surface you may be able to start with finer paper than #100. You will improve the shallow scratches, not the deep ones.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is causing this? Your rigging? Is there something that is going to continue to damage that spot? If so, cover with rigging tape to protect. If you can't fix it enhance it. Looks too deep to clean up, but 1500 micron wet/dry sand paper you can get at any automotive store will polish stainless. Much like a polishing compound. It will get out some of the finer scratches.
No idea what caused this, its been there for years.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bought some flapper wheels and a polishing wheel for my 4.5" angle grinder at a welding supply store, and I suspect any welders supply will have them or something equivalent.
I used three flapper wheels of gradually increasing grit and finally the polishing wheel on new chainplates. It was an easy job and came out well. An angle grinder spins very fast--around 20,000 rpm--but removes material slowly enough that you'll have good control. You can find a cheap one at Harbor Freight. Hand sanding deep scratches or pitting will take forever as stainless is too hard.
A belt sander would also probably cut fast enough, but for a rounded surface an angle grinder is a lot easier to use. Comes in handy for cutting and grinding on other metal projects, too.
Polishing stainless will not cause it to rust. In fact it will eliminate the tiny surface irregularities that can promote corrosion.
John V.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.