SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with a way to remove Durabak. I need to make a repair, I have a deep scratch and want to remove an area and reapply it and don't want a build up because of where it is. I applied it on my J 29 about 4 years ago.

Thanks Cliff

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Cliff have you looked at there website or contacted them? They were very quick to respond to some questions I had a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did and they were not much help and said a urathane remover but did not suggest anything. I did a search on this site and found the same question but no answer.

Cliff

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts
I would try using the Xylene thinner that they recommend when applying it. I think it would soften the Durabak enough that you could then remove it with some hard scrubbing. I say this because I accidentally spilled some and the finish softened up quite a bit.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I would suggest a razor knife to put a "hard" border around the area that will be patched, then masking over that with duct tape and using a wire brush to mechanically abrade the Durabak from the problem area. DO NOT use a common iron wire wheel, the iron splinters get into things and you'll probably find a rust bloom all over the area they landed for months afterwards. A brass or bronze brush, or one of the 3M hard plastic wheels sold in auto body supply shops should do it. (They have all sorts of good whels for this purpose.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts