SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small leak in my fuel tank in my '89 PSC 34 and need to pull it out for repair or replacement. I'd like to know if anyone has pulled their tank on the 34 and have any advice. I'm especially concern if it will fit through the hatch.

·
Coastal Carolinas
104 Posts
We have a 1990 34 and while I haven't had to replace the tank just yet, I've done some researched on the prospect of doing so in the future. It appears that it will fit through the main companionway hatch with no problem. PSC can provide a replacement in fiberglas if you need to go that route. Where did you develop a leak? Was in near the bottom due to salt water corrosion or did it rub on the hull inside the bilge?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, your tank will fit through the companionway, I've had mine replaced. I'd recommend you call Pacific Seacraft to discuss a fiberglass replacement for yours while you're going to the trouble. When seawater is in the bilge, corrision can setup between the keel bolts and the aluminum tank resulting in the leaks you're experiencing. I think staying with aluminum is not worth the risk and future hassle. You may want to have your boatyard evaluate the health of the keel bolts as well since these can also be affected by the same corrosion process, and I'd at least clean the bolts/nuts up good and reseal them before installing another tank. Be sure to thoroughly clean the bilge compartment with a degreasing cleaner if any diesel has been sitting in the bilge, else you'll be smelling diesel for quite a while. I'd also replace all the related hoses while you're at it since the old ones may be saturated and also contributing to any diesel smell below decks. Finally, its also a good time to put in a new engine fuel filter since you'll have to bleed the fuel lines anyway. Quite a few PSC owners have had to deal with this, so I imagine you'll get a few other helpful responses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back. I'll give the company a call about the fiberglass tank. I don't know exactly the nature of the leak yet as I haven't pulled the tank and assume it's from the bottom or lower seam. I cleaned my bilge dry and after 3-4 days there is a small puddle of diesel fuel. The tank appears not to be touching on any of the sides as far as I can tell. There are also some 2-2.5" round "spacers" at the top aft end of the tank that look fixed in place, that I'm assuming must be "knocked" out. They seem to be in very tight. I just topped off the fuel for winter storage and now must pump it out. I guess I can run a long hose down the fill hose or pull off the inspection plate.

·
Registered
295 Posts
cvsheppard,

You can replace the fuel tank without having to bleed the system. Just close the inlet valve at the tank and unthread the connection at the tank. The hose is long enough to easily absorb the four or five turns it will take to remove it. When you replace it, wind the hose up the same number of turns in the opposite direction and thread in the connection. Piece of cake.

The tank easily fits through the companionway.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 305 "Swan"

·
Registered
703 Posts
There are several threads on the old (now archived) board about replacing a Crealock 34 fuel tank. I do not have enough posts to post a link but try sailnet dot com/list_server/current_forum.php/?list=pacificseacraft

Then search among the thread titles for Fuel Tank.

Bill Murdoch

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
I've heard of some people having a bladder installed in the existing tank cavity. Seems like a cost effective alternative.

Me??

I just lift my 6gal tank out of the fuel lazerette and put it in my car!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts