SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of removing a painted on name and MC numbers from by Catalina 27. I most of the painted name off - still need to peel the numbers off. Any recommendations in how to make sure all previous traces of the previous decals/paint are not visible ?

I am also looking for recommendations for vinyl graphics for new boat name and mc number - was planning on installing myself.

Thanks

Derek A.-

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
See a local sign shop. Boat US also has the ability to do vinyl boat graphics too. You may not have as many letter choices, then again, do not quote me. I went to my local sign shop that does the lettering for my business trucks, gave him the lettering I wanted. He did not have it, so I needed to go online to find the word.doc type print, and all was good after that!

Went on really easy after that.

The letters for the state on the front, you can pickup anywhere with block letters IIRC in 3" sizing.

marty

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the easy off routine on the painted numbers, it worked pretty well. I have followed it up with a 400 grit wet sand. Planning on wheeling out the boat - was just curious if there was a tactic to hide the non-aged portions of the gelcoat, as compared to those sections that have been exposed.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
an easy and very cheap way of doing large letters is to print them out on a sheet of paper in a font and size you like. then tape em to some vinyl and cut them out with a razor blade. i did my boat less then 10 bucks, and an hour worth of time

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
West Marine has a pretty decent service for this (I am sure its the same as BoatUS since they are joined now). Just go online to download the forms, etc. I used it a couple of years ago and was pleased.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Assuming that your boat is gelcoat and not painted and that your gelcoat is sufficiently thick in that area, I would recommend compounding and polishing to eliminate traces of the old name.

I've gotten names from these folks. They've come up with clever ideas and will work with you on the design. They even did a little tiny graphic for me once for a half hull model.

https://www.myboatsign.com

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
We also used DIY Lettering and were very pleased with the results. But, for goodness sake, read the advice in these forums about de-naming and naming a boat. We followed this advice and it sure feels good so far.......

Stuart

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I used a local sign company to create the custom graphic I wanted for my boat. It was on the expensive side, but about the same as the Boat US service if I'd done a two color graphic with them and they couldn't do the custom part I wanted, only the letters.

I used Boat US for my previous boat and was happy with the product.

I will offer this, if you're using vinyl graphics. There are two ways to apply them, wet or dry. I used the wet technique on my previous boat and had good results. However after doing the dry technique on my current boat, I feel like its the way to go, since it allows you to fully position the graphic before removing the coating to allow the graphic to stick.

To use the dry method you tape the graphic in place with the protective sheet in place, between the hull and your letters. Tape the ends and the middle. Adjust as needed, using your tape measure to get the name positioned where you want it, and use some more tape to place a guide along the edge of your paper backing. When its taped, you can step back and get an idea how it looks from a distance. When you are satisfied, detach one end to the middle, and remove the backing paper up to your center attachment. The lay the backing paper back in place using your guide tape. Squeegee from the midpoint to the end, then repeat for the other end of the graphic. I applied the large 3.5'-4' long graphic on the sides of my boat this way and the actual application only took about 3 minutes a side, after the prep work. The wet technique requires about the same amount of prep work but the application takes a lot longer and requires a lot more care while you slip the graphic in place and squeegee out the liquid. For me the dry method was a lot easier and less stressful.

The Boat US site had good directions for whichever technique you choose. Their video of them doing a TowBoat US lettering using the dry method is what convinced me to try it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Two thumbs up for easy-off followed by 400 grit sandpaper. As for the boat name, I did the first one through BoatUS. Unfortunately the yard got a little aggressive with the buffer last year, and, well, you can imagine the results. This time I went with a local sign company. Anyone who makes vinyl signs will do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I received my lettering from Speedy Signs yesterday. They were very helpful with customer service (I have a very limited space so sizing is critical) and the price was about 1/3 of the Boat US price. They look as advertised. Haven't put them on yet, but so far I would also recommend them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts