SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me a while and quite a bit of wet dry sandpaper and safe for the environment paint remover to finally send Bert and Ernie back to the street!
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Azure
Naval architecture Boat Watercraft Automotive tire Wood
Boat Watercraft Water Vehicle White
Boat Watercraft White Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is really difficult to remove the ghosting or embossing of the old gelcoat underneath painted on name and artwork, I felt bad for a little while but it because it was actually hand-painted.

I'm going to try a wood block with wet sandpaper and see if that will level the raised areas from the old names but it's probably something most of us have to live with.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm a wooden boat builder no Stern boards for me! And I say that sternly! 🤣

You all realize? you're giving me advice on how to remove the name of my boat and I've already done that? It was really hard work but I did it an hour here an hour there over about a month and a half

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We're having the same problem with our hailing port. (We're keeping the name.) Underneath the painted-on hailing port is Awlgrip, so sandpaper is not a good idea; it would leave scoremarks. Have been rubbing with mineral spirits and acetone for about three hours so far. Looks like another three or four to go. Yoga is nothing compared to kneeling sideways on the transom scoop with one hand holding on to the stern rail and the other attacking the lettering. Then you get up to refresh the solvent and turn the other way to give each arm a change.
If you ever seen a high-end repaint on a show car they do an operation called "color sanding" using fine, super fine, and ultra fine, wet paper to get a glass like polish, could you do that on awl grip? I don't know.

Reactions: SanderO

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay consider this thread drifted there is no awl grip on my boat would never even consider using it.

I would just add you're all lumping polishing with super fine papers in with sanding it's not quite the same because super high gloss requires some type of compound whether it's on paper or on a buffing pad. I've used papers up to 1500 grit with great results but not on large projects. I believe it's available up to 3000 grit.

Reactions: SanderO
1 - 5 of 5 Posts