SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new owners of a chrysler 22 and would like to rename the boat. Is this bad luck or what.. We have not owned a sailboat before and would not like to piss off the sailing gods...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AHOY;......GOOD thing you''ve enquired about that!!JIMINY CRICKET!! Did you say change a vessels name??HEY!!This may be your Mistress mate, but she ain''t yer Wife! It''s considered blasphemy to even talk about......you know,...what you said,...and whadaya think happens if you do?..you know , ..what you said;...well let''s put it this way......you ever hear about sailors who disappear??.without a trace??!!!.........Rev. Mike

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It''s been said that the only way a boat can be re-named is if said boat has been sunk and raised. To me, this seems a bit extreme. My theory-- and my way of pleasing the gods of sailing, is what my wife and I did with our Newport 17.

We sailed the boat several times to get a feel for her and let her get to know our tendencies. Only after we got to know each other did we rechristen her "Half-Fast" (more of a comment on her owners than her).

I think it''s really a Zen-thing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don''t do it what you said.
Ya can however get a sharman if your in the states and this may help like a real red Indian chap.
Give me a tingle as to where you are i would like to write to another yachty where ever you are and share tales.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don''t do it what you said.
Ya can however get a sharman if your in the states and this may help like a real red Indian chap.
Give me a tingle as to where you are i would like to write to another yachty where ever you are and share tales.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G''day matey,
If you look under the topic heading of "General Discussion" you will find a post about this very topic along with the entire thread of replies. There is a way to rename a boat but it does involve major induction of alcoholic beverages. There is actually a renaming ceremony listed on the net at 48 north. That link is provided in the discussion as well.
I am in the same quandry in a boat I just bought as well. Hopefully I can find a way to appease the gods of wind and water enough that my rudder doesn''t fall off, the mast doesn''t get twisted in power lines,or the propane stove doesn''t rival a 4th of July celebration.
Good luck !!!!
M

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing they failed to mention in the last reply is that each of the authors of the aforementioned articles disappeared at sea after writing. Oh, I take that back. One burst into flames while reading in bed. Best of Luck in the renamiming.
M

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The site for the renaming/denaming/naming ceremonies I referred to earlier is at:

http://www.48north.com/aug97/denaming.htm

Hope this helps
M

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gentlemen, I have a little trouble with this; really, because the superstitions of sailors are largely founded on the ''out at sea too long'' hallucinations of what has been a -for the most part; a basically uneducated lot.There are a lot of ''old sailors''tales up there on the shelf next to the offerings that their women folk filled themselves with;....the old wifes tales.Doubtlessly, the competition of ''juveniles'' in the fo''c''stle while floating in circles in the ''horse latitiudes'' back in 1503,drove each to out do the other as they entertained themselves out of boredom and fear...and possibly sickness too!I''ll bet that more than one feverish gent muttering in some dark smelly corner'' to the younger, eager to be a part of the ''MEN'', has started romours based on nothing more than illiterate fantasy, and thrilled at the gullibility of his audience. In short, the old timers propagate the mystery of the sailors life to give it more charm, but the guy who started that one about changing a vessels name was married to the woman who invented that one about.....don''t do that, you''ll go blind; and together, they''re rolling around in their graves, laughing their heads off! literally......... To maintain the special appeal and magic of the Maritime, ''we'' all kind of go along withit, but in the interest of encouraging clear thinking among seamen,I must finally tell it like it is.....that any superstition around changing a name is basically a load of amber-gris.......and you know what THAT is!!!!..........Rev. Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts