SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a year ago i got my first boat its a total rebuild. The wife and I were never really a fan of the name of the boat and would like to change it. We have a name picked but when i read online there is all these web sites with these long drawn practices to renaming your boat. Im just curious how many people do this or should i just change the name of the boat.

·
Registered
557 Posts
So a year ago i got my first boat its a total rebuild. The wife and I were never really a fan of the name of the boat and would like to change it. We have a name picked but when i read online there is all these web sites with these long drawn practices to renaming your boat. Im just curious how many people do this or should i just change the name of the boat.
GOT to do a renaming! :D

Greg

·
Registered
794 Posts
We renamed two boats...Both original names caused confusion...

'Upsidedown" made everybody think we had capsized when we got on the radio!

"Big Fat Fun" was worse because my wife refused to use the radio!

Never choose a name that confuses or makes the Coast Guard laugh!

Just change the name and be done with it.

Phil on MoonDancer. (ex-Upsidedown)

·
umop apisdn wI
26 Posts
I read once about a boat owner (pre-9/11) that had named his boat after his three children: Al, Kay and Darlene. He named his boat "Al-Kay-Da". Post 9/11, radio calls started becoming attention-getting and distracting, so he renamed the boat something else. Can't blame him.

·
Master Mariner
9,417 Posts
I've renamed almost every boat I've owned. It's supposed to be bad luck, but I've never seen any evidence of this even on a sport fisherman; she was always a fleet leader in catches.
Never bothered with the hocus pocus either, just put on the new name and informed the CG.

Reactions: guitarguy56

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Banned
96 Posts
I suppose you still put your teeth under your pillow? :laugher
Well OK , because I started it . We don't consider our selves superstitious , but bad things happened to us . First we re named our boat , it was Achates and that translates from Greek Mythology as trusted friend . But I had to have my own way , so I named her Patricia A , after my wife Patricia Ann . One night Patti's GF was on the boat , she was a Tarot card reader, no more Tarot card readers and no more propane . The galley stove blew up , and severely hurt my Patti , she sanded out OK as did the rest of the galley .

·
Registered
438 Posts
IMHO - A good friend of mine whom I have been sailing with for about 14 yrs got his new boat 10 yrs ago and renamed it the night before we left Ct headed for Key West. (didn't do a de-naming/renaming ceremony)Every yr on the south bound trip there have been un-explained issues. North bound trips are uneventful and sailing in general is always with out problems.
Just do the ceremony and be done with it . Besides its tradition and a fun thing to do with family n good friends.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
5 sailboats owned in sequence since the late 80's. 4 renamed, one new. No bad luck (on boats at least). A couple of the previous names where so bad that if we were required to keep the name we would have passed on the purchase. One seller even asked us not to use the name, as he wanted it on his next boat. Not an issue, not a name we would have considered.

No ceremonies, other than getting the CG documentation right, and designing the graphics.

I've even been known to leave on a passage on a Friday. Still here. Go figure?

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
What's the worst thing that could happen if you hold a renaming ceremony? it takes a little time away form productive stuff, you get to make some pompous pronouncements that defy argument and you drink and hang out with some friends.
It's a lot like, as it's know around here, "any day that ends in "y" "

What's the worst that could happen if you DON'T?

Do it.

·
599 Posts
You've hear a lot of comments pro and con, people who did a ceremony, people who didn't. Dire consequences and harmless. All are valid viewpoints.

The way I think about it is this: By taking up sailing, you are participating in a holistic experience, drawing closer to nature, relying more than ever before on your own skills and experience, and following generations of sailors before you; with traditions reaching back hundreds, and possibly thousands of years. It is a calling rich in archaic skills, vocabulary, and tradition. Part of that tradition is rituals which in our enlightened age many scoff at. But they are nonetheless part of the heritage of becoming a sailor. To neglect maritime tradition is to diminish part of the experience in sailing.

So my recommendation is - do a renaming ceremony. Learn to splice. Drink rum. Learn to sail. It is all part of an immensely enriching experience - embrace it fully!

·
Registered
557 Posts
You've hear a lot of comments pro and con, people who did a ceremony, people who didn't. Dire consequences and harmless. All are valid viewpoints.

The way I think about it is this: By taking up sailing, you are participating in a holistic experience, drawing closer to nature, relying more than ever before on your own skills and experience, and following generations of sailors before you; with traditions reaching back hundreds, and possibly thousands of years. It is a calling rich in archaic skills, vocabulary, and tradition. Part of that tradition is rituals which in our enlightened age many scoff at. But they are nonetheless part of the heritage of becoming a sailor. To neglect maritime tradition is to diminish part of the experience in sailing.

So my recommendation is - do a renaming ceremony. Learn to splice. Drink rum. Learn to sail. It is all part of an immensely enriching experience - embrace it fully!
EXACTLY!

And for the rest, we DO NOT depart on a voyage on Friday, ANY MORE! :(

Greg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.