SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inviting any readers to share in my happy moment. Several months ago I bought a Spirit 23 which was badly in need of maintenance and repairs, the most trying of which was to re-insert the swing keel. I figured out why previous owners had left it laying in the bottom of the boat. The sleeve that the lifting cable goes through was totally blocked. It took about three hours to clear it by feeding a wire coat hanger chucked up in a drill while dumping oil down the hole to clear it. But it worked and the swing keel is in place. It was also cracked and had to be re sealed and re-glassed on the leading edge.
It turned to be quite a job out in our 100 degree heat, but it is done. Total success. I have the boat off the trailer and supported on huge styrofoam blocks that we got from a marina the was rebuilding their docks, so that was a big help. Currently working on replacing all of the woodwork on the boat. It is totally black with weathering and deeply grained. none of it salvageable. I am cutting all new woodwork.

·
High Desert Guy
67 Posts
Congrats on the boat! Sounds like you've made a lot of good headway. Do yourself a favor and don't get wrapped up in the little things. Get it in sailing shape and get her out on the water. Be safe, but take the first opportunity you can to enjoy it. It will keep you from hitting the wall.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Congratulations!

And pictures - we need pictures!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts