SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I'm considering buying a cat that has been salvaged I believe it capsized. It has two yanmar diesels apparently oil on tappet cover appears clean.
I'm sure they weren't running at time of immersion
I'm thinking pulling them out leaving heads on removing crank pistons cam shaft flushing oil galleys diesel pump hopefully ok.
Any thoughts on hours of labour , hone cylinders? Replace seLs rings n bearings.
Cost?
Any thoughts would b useful
Thnx
JC

·
Registered
583 Posts
If they were in the ocean and are still submerged you may be able to rebuild them. I stress the "may" part of that statement.
If they went into ocean and have been removed from the ocean and have sat for "any" period of time then they will make great boat anchors.
Fresh water is not so bad but they are probably junk as the air will destroy them once they have been submerged.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The barrels of a diesel engine immersed in salt water rust enough in a day to make the pistons almost impossible to get out.

You can get them out with a big hammer but they will not be usable so budget for new pistons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.