SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6 months of searching, I found a replacement mast for Catalina 30 Tall Rig (my current mast has a nasty dent at the spreaders). Unfortunately, there are few things that about the replacement that have me concerned (and were in no way communicated by the seller...another story). My main concern is that there are a few holes that have been cut in the mast.

There is a 2.5x3.5 inch square access hole cut into the bottom of the mast (roughly 6 inches off the deck).

There is also a 5"x0.5" inch slit cut about 3 feet down from the masthead. I think this is for the spinnaker halyard....which could be perfectly normal.

My main concern is that these compromise the mast. Do they? If so, how do I repair? Welding? Rivet a plate on both sides?

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can build doublers and rivet in place with flush rivets. Build a cover and use flathead screws to hold the cover in place. There is considerable strength in this method. This methiod is used on aircraft quite often.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Some questions about methods. How thick should the doubler be (the mast is .160")? How much should I overlap hole? What size rivets? I'm assuming monel would be the material of choice?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts