SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Last evening, when on a mooring in a windstill environment the portside upper rod section broke all of a sudden with a loud bang.
I am now staring at it from below: the rod seems to be broken somewhere in the middle.
Can I repair this section with wire rig for a short period of time? (The boat will be hauled in october)
Suggestions welcome. I am on a Greek Island with limited rigging possibilities...
Thanks for your reactions...
Paul

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
can you take the section off and thread it using an insert? if not maybe scrap a peice of dyneema or a wire replacement for now, and fix properly when back home?

in all honesty its pretty scary that it broke with such force while not sailing...is this a very tightly tuned racer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input.
I contacted a rigger in Athens and they are working on a solution, using dyform...
Will know tomorrow if it works... In the meantime I keep the sails down :).
It was a scary moment all right. I suspect there was too much tension on the rod(s) during their whole lifetime... (She sailed a lot of regattas...).
I think of replacing all rods with wire.
Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.