SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a jib sheet wrap around my dorade box while I was gybing in heavy wind. Photo attached.

Before I could attend to the problem, it was ripped right off. Now, I need to repair the stripped screw holes and find a dorade box/ cowl replacement.

Repairing fiberglass is new to me.

Do I drill a larger holes and just fill the holes with epoxy?

Should I add fiberglass to the epoxy?

Would brands like Marine Tex or West Systems suffice?

This would be the first time doing this. I am actually looking forward to learning how to do it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,162 Posts
Drill larger holes, FILL with epoxy (for best results for best results unthickened epoxy, then draw some epoxy back out, then refill with cabosil thickened epoxy), and when it is time to remount the Dorade, re-drill pilot holes.

Reactions: fune31

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Drill larger holes, FILL with epoxy (for best results for best results unthickened epoxy, then draw some epoxy back out, then refill with cabosil thickened epoxy), and when it is time to remount the Dorade, re-drill pilot holes.

Or better yet (and I have load tested this) it is even stronger if you...

1. Overdrill if solid glass, or just remove core with a bent nail if cored.
2. Fill about half way with unthickened epoxy.
3. Cut little squares of glass finish cloth (~ 1/2"-1/") and stuff as many into the hole with a skewer as will fit. It may be more than you think.
4. Finish filling with unthickened epoxy.

This reinforced plug will make it as strong as new. Without the reinforcement epoxy plug can crack and the glass also makes the treads stronger. Fillers, like cabosil, only make the epoxy weaker in shear by entraining air bubbles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Those holes are on a boss separate from the deck. No need to worry much about how they are filled. If it was me, I'd just fill them as they stand with some marine tex or epoxy stick or similar, then when you fit your new dorade cowl, just drill the new holes on a different part of that boss.

Mark

·
Registered
80 Posts
Those holes are on a boss separate from the deck. No need to worry much about how they are filled. If it was me, I'd just fill them as they stand with some marine tex or epoxy stick or similar, then when you fit your new dorade cowl, just drill the new holes on a different part of that boss.

Mark
Exackery, wot he said. :grin He just beat me to it.

·
Barquito
3,480 Posts
Do what Colemj said. But, keep in mind what pdqaltair said for when you need to rebed bigger holes.

You could consider having made stainless steel guards that will protect the cowls (and provide another handhold). My cowls fit a little loosely, so I put a thin metal tether on them. The tether is long enough that I can still rotate them 180 degrees.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Reactions: fune31

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the replies and advice. From this advice, I decided to widen the screw holes and fill it with Marine-tex. If I could orient the box different to drill new holes, I will do that. Now, I just have to wait for the weather to warm up. I did not realize epoxy curing needs to be in >60 degree weather.

I thought about adding stainless steel guards in the past. But, I like having that area as clutter free as possible. The advice about a small wire tether is quite interesting, though. I may try that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts