SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become a boat owner, at least 1/7 of it is mine.

I joined a group or 7 owners on an Ericson 32. It is a little rough around the edges but the price is/was right. As the new, enthusiastic partner I want to fix a few things up, starting with two broken cleats. I am referring to the wooden lip around an opening that holds the boards above the opening.

In the ice box there is the opening in which an insulated plug/door sits. On all sides there is a wooden lip that extends out from the side of the opening. On one side this is completely broken off. I also have the same situation on the storage area under a settee.

I have only been on the boat once and got a brief look at it but it appears that the whole piece did not break off but just the part that extended out into the opening to form the lip has sheared off. The other part of the wood is still glued to the bottom of the outer edge.

I have a number of tools I can use to grind or sand off this left over piece of wood but feel that will create a huge mess and possibly a messy surface on which to attach the new lip to. So what i plan to do is to glue a piece of wood to the left over from the broken off piece attached to the under side of the opening. Then glue on a filler piece to bring the lip up to the same level as the other cleats.

First off I hope my description makes sense. Now two questions.
Do I need to use teak here? I have plenty of alder sitting around the house.
Should I use epoxy here? I have Tightbond 2 and would purchase 3 if needed.

Bonus question, is there a better way of doing this?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Without pictures it's hard to give you a lot of advice...

If the cleats that are broken can be removed without breaking the cabinets I would remove them and clean/sand the surfaces where the cleats were removed and install new...teak or a teak substitute...cleats.

If they can't be removed without breaking the cabinets then clean up the edges with saw/rasp/microshave plane/wood chisel as needed then make them whole by gluing in new pieces.

In the location of the missing cleat...take the glue surface back to bare wood so the glue will hold and install a new cleat.

Can you tell what kind of wood was used originally? If so and you are happy with it use that kind of wood. If not and you can remove all the cleats...you can do that and replace with new wood.

I have had good success with glue-ups using Titebond 3 in some applications but more recently have used epoxy or resorcinol glue because I think it will last longer. Resorcinol cleans up with water and it's a bit easier to use in my estimation. A source is Aircraft Spruce.

I wouldn't use alder.

·
Registered
629 Posts
To reinforce a glue up like this you have a few choices, using a biscuit joiner would be my first choice, but if you don't have one or can't barrow one then that is not a piratical solution for a small project. Or you can use the old dowels like the biscuits. General Tools & Instruments 1/4-Inch to 1/2-Inch Dowel Center Transfer Plugs - Dowell Jig - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31K%2BTUcTS%[email protected]@[email protected]@31K%2BTUcTS%2BL cleat. And the easiest way would be the add your new cleat and add a splice piece of wood under the cleat overlapping the old on the underside, this also could be a metal splice with screws.

You can also use a shiplap or tongue and groove.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is some photos of the woodwork needing done.

I am planning on cleaning up the edge on the ice box and glue on another cleat with epoxy then adding a strip of wood to bring it up to the level of the other cleats.

I will glue and screw the wood cleats that are already there on the settee. Not sure how to secure the wood for the hatch boards. My guess for now is use the oscilating tool to remove the current wood then sand it smooth Epoxy a new board in its place.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts