SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is it currently possible to have 2 chartplotter screens such that the main one is down below deck and then another "repeater" screen by the wheel? Or is the best option just to purchase 2 systems? Would we then have to do waypoints twice?

I don't know too much about these things so please treat my ignorance with patience!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey,

Most plotter manufacturers today support wireless apps that run on phones and tablets so that your iPad (or other device) can work like a repeater.

For example, Raymarine, with their A, C, and E series, support Android and iOS. So if you have (or wanted to buy) a tablet, that could be the repeated screen, and you can use it anywhere on the boat.
RayControl Raymarine App for iPhone, iPad and Android

I know that Garmin has the same features:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod152837.html

Navico (who make B+G, Simrad, Lowrance) does as well.

IMHO, this is the best way to go.

Good luck,
Barry

Hi,

Is it currently possible to have 2 chartplotter screens such that the main one is down below deck and then another "repeater" screen by the wheel? Or is the best option just to purchase 2 systems? Would we then have to do waypoints twice?

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,584 Posts
Repeaters are very inaccurate because of electronic chart dissolution (in the ether... Some use an ether net to try and hold 'em in).
Its much better to rely on a sextant and a paper chart. Nothing needs to be printed on the paper as long as its there.

:)

Reactions: Don L

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Have "repeater" on iPad and a iPhone but also have three MFDs. Much prefer the slaved MSDs. Can run different screens on any of the three.but most importantly can run AP from all of them and turn on/off radar.
None of the marketed MFDs from any vender will let you do that.I asked why and was told unconsidered unsafe.
If idea is to run you boat from different places on the boat you will need several MFDs. If the idea is to see what your crew is up to from your berth a iPad or iPhone will serve. I think hard wired networks may still be more reliable. Although that may change in the future. I also think having several MFDs is safer. One breaks just move the chip and good to go.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Have "repeater" on iPad and a iPhone but also have three MFDs. Much prefer the slaved MSDs. Can run different screens on any of the three.but most importantly can run AP from all of them and turn on/off radar.
None of the marketed MFDs from any vender will let you do that.I asked why and was told unconsidered unsafe.
If idea is to run you boat from different places on the boat you will need several MFDs. If the idea is to see what your crew is up to from your berth a iPad or iPhone will serve. I think hard wired networks may still be more reliable. Although that may change in the future. I also think having several MFDs is safer. One breaks just move the chip and good to go.
I am not following, are you saying none of the multi-function displays let you do it, or is it that none of the phone apps let you do it? Because you say you do it, but they don't let you do it, color me confused. I am a bit tired from work so it may just be me.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Sorry for confusion
You cannot access AP settings to change course, settings or go to standby from phone or tablet. You can access and change AP and all other settings from any networked MFD even if it is not the master with the chip in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.