SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the coverings on our existing cushions. Most of the cushions have a vinyl bottom with cloth top and sides. Do I need to replace the vinyl bottoms or can I do them all in cloth? It seems like the vinyl just seems to trap any condensation between the fibreglas seat bottom and the cushion. I'd like to do away with it.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
I hate vinyl on cushions for the reason you stated. That condensation also stays inside the cushion as well.

Get a good, durable fabric designed to for outdoor use and ditch the vinyl. Much less condenstation, your cushions will dry more quickly, no vinyl cracking and it will help with the slide factor.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I hate vinyl on cushions for the reason you stated. That condensation also stays inside the cushion as well.

Get a good, durable fabric designed to for outdoor use and ditch the vinyl. Much less condenstation, your cushions will dry more quickly, no vinyl cracking and it will help with the slide factor.
What he said. I just replaced my cushions. The old ones had vinyl bottoms and were full of mold after trapping moisture in there. The guy who did my new ones told me that while vinyl is durable, it will trap condensation and promote mold.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd definitely replace the vinyl - solves the moisture problem and gives you the ability to flip the cushions to spread out the wear (or hide an accident).

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
If the cushions cannot be flipped due to shape it makes sense to use a different fabric for the bottom. Like a plastic mesh (textalene) fabric that breathes. This is usually less expensive than the upholstery fabric or Sunbrella you a using for the tops and sides.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If the cushions cannot be flipped due to shape it makes sense to use a different fabric for the bottom. Like a plastic mesh (textalene) fabric that breathes. This is usually less expensive than the upholstery fabric or Sunbrella you a using for the tops and sides.
That's what the guy who made mine did. The cushions are fit to the boat so they can't flip.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not to state the obvious here but many cushions that are custom-made can be flipped if moved from port to starboard - i.e they're mirror images of each other.

·
19,489 Posts
Not to state the obvious here but many cushions that are custom-made can be flipped if moved from port to starboard - i.e they're mirror images of each other.
....and many are not. If not, saving a few bucks on material makes sense. For our latest cushions (none are 'reversable') our upholsterer recommended the ventilated vinyl - it's perforated to allow breathing.

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
We did not put vinyl on the bottom - used fabric all round.

We did not use zippers, used Velcro (as per instructions on the CD "How to make boat cushions")

We always put "dry bunk" under the cushions where we slept.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is a nonskid mesh material that is used for the bottom of cushions. Keeps them in place better and when you leave the boat you can flip them so the mesh is on top for easy drying. Just used it for the interior cushions I made and it works very well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts