SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Aloha 32 & Hunter 26.5
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current cruising boat has an old Standard Communications Corp Model DS-1 depth finder that is fully inoperative. The screen does not light up. The knob on the front does not move at all. The switches on the back move freely. When I move the back side switch from off to day or night, I get a brief beep but nothing else. The input from the transducer is an "rca" type plug (2 wire). The main unit looks to be about 5" in diameter & is bulkhead mounted.

I am hoping to replace the head unit & use the existing transducer, to ease installation. My first hurdle, is to figure out how to confirm if the transducer works or not. If it does work, my second hurdle would be to find a replacement that is compatible with that transducer. Of course the easiest thing would be for me to find someone that has an old DS-1 just laying around & swap it in, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards at this time.

Does anyone here have any info on how to test the transducer & how to figure out what other depth readouts would be compatible?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alternatively, try installing the transducer on a fish finder on another boat and check the transducer's operation. Do you have friends who could help you in this way?

·
Registered
Aloha 32 & Hunter 26.5
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alternatively, try installing the transducer on a fish finder on another boat and check the transducer's operation. Do you have friends who could help you in this way?
Thank you for the reply.

I do have a couple of Lowrance & Garmin depth finders available to me, but none of them are 2-wire on the transducer connection & none of them use an RCA plug. I'm not really sure how I would wire them up to the existing transducer. The existing transducer is a thru hull type that is bedded in place, and the boat is in the water, so removing the transducer is something I would prefer to avoid if possible.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The only mfr still making 5 inch round displays is Moor. May work with the SH transducer if they are both the same frequency. 200 Khz was common for systems of that vintage. If connectors don't match, you will have change the plug. Typically 2 wires and a shield. The smaller Norcross displays also work with old 200 khz transducers. Norcross uses standard Airmar transducers.

·
Registered
Aloha 32 & Hunter 26.5
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only mfr still making 5 inch round displays is Moor. May work with the SH transducer if they are both the same frequency. 200 Khz was common for systems of that vintage. If connectors don't match, you will have change the plug. Typically 2 wires and a shield. The smaller Norcross displays also work with old 200 khz transducers. Norcross uses standard Airmar transducers.
The homepage I found for Moor instruments says that they closed up shop in 2015 - Moor Electronics - Home Page

Am I looking in the correct place?

·
Registered
Aloha 32 & Hunter 26.5
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The owner's manual for the DS-1 states 207khz - file:///C:/Users/BOZODE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/DS-1%20Owner's%20Manual.pdf

·
Registered
Aloha 32 & Hunter 26.5
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently the DS-45 was a direct replacement, but is now also obsolete - file:///C:/Users/BOZODE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/DS45%20Owner's%20Manual.pdf

·
Registered
Aloha 32 & Hunter 26.5
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to these guys - New Depth Sounder With An Old Transducer by Compass Marine How To
A 210Khz transducer will not work with a 200Khz reader head. Since the DS-1 specified 207Khz & the DS-45 specified 203Khz, I guess that I need to go look at the transducer itself & look for some numbers. The guys at pbase were kind enough to explain how the wiring on the RCA plug works & how to cross it to a 3 wire system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts