SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently refitting the tiller steering, and rudder on my C&C 25. The bronze gudgeons mounted to the stern have worn over the years and now the tiller has a lot of slop in it. I removed the rudder and cleaned up the Pintels which are heavy duty and stainless steel straps. They are in excellent condition so I'm assuming they were replaced no too long ago by a PO.

I have looked online and in some of the catalogs but can't seem to find a replacement that looks quite like the old gudgeon. (see photo). I have seen lots of places carry what they call a medium duty stainless steel gudgeon with a nylon insert for 1/2" pintels. Would that be a satisfactory replacement?

The attached photos show two replacements I have found through local West Marine. Of course the other picture is the part needing replaced.

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don—

I think you'd be better off with a bronze replacement, since those stainless steel ones look like they'd rust through rather quickly. :) One of my friends just got some heavy duty bronze ones, but I don't know where... checking the consignment shops might be a good place to start though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dog, Yeh they looked pretty cheezy compared to the hardware found on the boat.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don—

I'll drop my friend an e-mail and see if she knows where to find some decent bronze gudgeons... ;)

She said she got them here. IIRC, they're made by these guys.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Rxbot—

Mixing metals underwater is generally a bad idea... it leads to increased corrosion problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts