SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've finally done what I knew was going to happen! I (yes water was involved) lost they ignition key for my 1995 40.5 hunter. I have a yanmar engine and control panel. Any suggestions on how to replace it or get it replaced?

Thanks for any help guys,
Scott

·
Tartan 28
103 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! That makes me feel much better. It was not a good day today... till you told me that.

Thanks again

·
Not just a member
111 Posts
keys

Yanmar used to only make 2 keys one for the "A" panel and one for the "B" panel. When I ran a boatyard I used to carry both keys with me , It save a lot of time running around and getting keys from the office.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My experience with Yanmar and keys has not been so positive; you have a newer model, however, so you may have more luck. I have a late seventies 2QM20 and the engine panel was in a particularly bad spot in the cockpit which resulted in the key getting stepped on at least once per voyage. Knowing that it would inevitably break, and not having a spare, I went to the dealer thinking they could just sell me a spare key or two, and I'd be good to go.

Nope. Gotta buy a whole new switch, they don't make those keys anymore. Oh, and that's an old panel, and the new switches don't fit, so you have to replace the panel too. To the tune of $150 or so.

I just put in a push-button switch instead after the key finally gave up the ghost. No more worries about it going over-board, snapping at a bad time, or otherwise getting lost.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Paying it forward

A fellow sailnet member gave me a book for free, so it's my turn to pay it forward. I have a Yanmar motor and about 6 spare keys. I'll send you one if you want. Otherwise, their like $8 each.

Send me a PM if you are interested. I have 3GM30F motor with a 1992-era control panel. Motor is a 1992 vintage.

DrB

-------------------------------------

ADDED AFTER INITIAL POST -

In drgamble's post, the link brings you to the "key type" page for Yanmar motors. The key code for my engine is: 124070-91290. If your engine is different, my "key" gift won't help you.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Take the switch out of the panel and off to the locksmith and he will make you a new key and some spares.

That's what they do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Thanks for all your help guys. I contacted a local Yanmar repair shop and they ordered me a copy... and spare! $9 for each.

Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts