SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an off the shelf replacement for the mast spreaders on a CL16 sailboat?

This has a 22' 7" aluminum mast and I was wondering if anyone has replaced the original spreaders with something easily available, like from Selden.

thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why do you need to replace them and why not just get new ones f
One of the spreaders got bent during rigging and may not be as strong anymore.

C&L Boatworks was sold in 2018 and is no longer as responsive as when Dave Ventresca ran that company (and sold me my CL16!);
try their website and count the number of broken links there: CL Sailboats C&L Boatworks

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Are the current spreaders foil shaped or just tubes?

You should be able to get generic spreader stock through a rigger and cut them to length.

You could also make your own spreaders.
I had a 20ft race boat years ago and I made spreaders out of wood, and then wrapped them with a couple of layers of carbon fiber just for fun.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the current spreaders foil shaped or just tubes?

You should be able to get generic spreader stock through a rigger and cut them to length.

You could also make your own spreaders.
I had a 20ft race boat years ago and I made spreaders out of wood, and then wrapped them with a couple of layers of carbon fiber just for fun.

They're just aluminum tubes, 51cm long, 1.3cm OD, with holes at each end for a cotter pin and a groove 1cm deep on the outside end to put the shrouds.
I just finished ordering materials from Amazon to build these myself.

I'm thinking of stiffening them by inserting a fiberglass rod inside them. Would that be a bad idea?

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
I think I would take the suspect spreader to a local rigger. They are usually not too specialized as far as how it is made. Looks like a fun lil' boat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
They're just aluminum tubes, 51cm long, 1.3cm OD, with holes at each end for a cotter pin and a groove 1cm deep on the outside end to put the shrouds.
I just finished ordering materials from Amazon to build these myself.

I'm thinking of stiffening them by inserting a fiberglass rod inside them. Would that be a bad idea?
As long as you are using tubing with the same wall thickness as the originals you shouldn't need to do any additional stiffening. All the load is compression, and on a boat that size the loads are not that high.

Is your old spreader bent so badly that it kinked? If not there is a good possibility you can just straighten it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as you are using tubing with the same wall thickness as the originals you shouldn't need to do any additional stiffening. All the load is compression, and on a boat that size the loads are not that high.

Is your old spreader bent so badly that it kinked? If not there is a good possibility you can just straighten it.

Thanks, I decided against using fiberglass rods for stiffening after reading this article about aluminum corrosion: Monthly Maintenance: Aluminum Corrosion

The fiberglass would have reduced the oxygen touching the inside of the spreader, making it corrode more.

The spreader is bent but not kinked, all the result of being careless while rigging and stepping the mast, not wind forces. But I wouldn't trust it after straightening it out and don't have the tools to do this with precision.

Drilling and grinding new aluminum tubes seems easier and the spreaders will be stronger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... Looks like a fun lil' boat.
It certainly is a great small sailboat, incredibly seaworthy and forgiving even in Salem Sound, one of the excellent suggestions I got here at sailnet.com:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts