SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there electronics aficionados. I am hoping that someone can give me a quick hand figuring out what connector I should use on my remote radio mic. I have a 604 in the cabin with a Command Mic ii in the cockpit. The command mic plug has gotten wet and corroded to uselessness. Icom will happily sell me a new mic cable and a new 20' extension cable for about a $100. I would rather just replace the connection terminals with something that is actually waterproof so I don't have this problem again. The difficulty is that there are about 100,000,000 different 8 pin connectors available. Have any of you done something like this and can you help me navigate the plethora of connectors?

Thanks

Grant Gardner

s/v Viandante

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To clarify, I am not necessarily looking for the exact connector that Icom uses since it is not really waterproof as evidenced by mine shorting out and corroding from spray into the cockpit. I am looking for any waterproof 8 pin assembly that has both the male and female socket and plug which can be soldered onto the bare ends of the mic cable and the extension cable from the radio. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there are about 100,000 different ones available online. Someone on this site must be an electronics wizard :)

Grant Gardner

s/v Viandante

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did a quick look on Digikey and turned up a couple of candidate mating pairs. They both appear to have reasonable IP ratings (IP66/68 for the Switchcraft, IP67 for the AMP):

Switchcraft EN3L8MX EN3C8FX

TE-AMP 1838277-4 1838274-4

These seem appropriate for in-line microphone connections. You should go over the specs more carefully than I have, though, and check to see if they work for you ergonomically.

Also they have plastic, not metal shells. If ground/shield continuity was accomplished via a metal shell in your original connectors, you may want to add a ninth pin to take care of this.

(I'm an EE, have often spec'd connectors, but have no experience with these particular items.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts