SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm doing a A-4 to beta 16. There's a lot to it. I replaced the fuel tank and lines, exhaust arrangement and water lift, electrical, stringers the engine rests on, sound proofing, different prop. Some of this is necessary like higher stringers and prop, some because the old items are at end of life like the steel fuel tank, and some because while the engine is out it's relatively easy, like sound proofing. A question is how long are you going to keep the boat? You won't get the money back from diesel replacement. A moyer rebuild will be lots cheaper but how long is he going to be around to provide that A4 support? while not yet done I found that given enog time and some re-work I can do as lot by myself and bring in the professional at the later stages. like drop-in and alignment.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'd go with a Moyer rebuild if I was not doing a diesel. The big cost issue is the cylinders, wall pitting, especially if raw water, and out of round. This means boring the cylinders and possibly resleeving. Sleeving and oversize pistons are expensive and you still have an old engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.